Is there a formula for led power savings?

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a formula available to figure out how much power savings you would get with an led. I'm just wondering because the led I need is very expensive around 150.00 bucks compared to its incandescent version which is usually around 2-3 bucks. I just wanted to see if it was worth to convert over to it as that is quite a chunk of change to put into an led bulb. Even though I wouldn't have to be up on a ladder for quite some time to replace it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know if there is something like that available. I was interested in LED's for my plant starter efforts, but the reviews I read for the lower cost ones weren't encouraging; they start breaking down too soon. I can't afford the more expensive units; like you, they are a big chunk of my available dollars.

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@Colored Egg Farmer, the LED you purchase will have a listing of its usage hours. They will last many, many times longer than an incandescent bulb. However, the usage hours shown is the length of time the LED will operate at a minimum of 50%.

As Britesea stated, the LEDs will begin to lose (lumens) power. Still, 10 (or more) years of light isn't all that shabby and I prefer LEDs to the CFLs with mercury in them.

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
Reason For switching:
1. I have to climb a ladder every time I have to change the bulb.
2. This is a commercial address so electric costs a lot more than residential addresses.
3. the Led uses around 40-45 watts where the incandescent uses 300.
4. The bulb (should) last 45 times the incandescent which at 2 dollars a bulb is 90 bucks already.
5. Less waste.

We tried the cfl version and they are huge and take a long time to warm up at the size. PLus as Smart Red Said I hate having all the mercury around and no where to recycle. Lowes is the only place nearby and I can't fit a bulb that big in their recycling box.