Is there an easy way to clean wheat?

WyoLiving

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We got a steal of a deal on Hard White Winter Wheat from a local grain mill.
However, it has quite a bit of weed seeds and such in it. Is there an easy way to clean this wheat for grinding and making bread?
So far I have been hand picking out the seeds - it takes a while, so I only get done what I need for a batch of bread.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My husband takes ours to a family member's farm to use their cleaner, but this might work: I do this for popcorn and flour corn. Have 2 large containers--one with the wheat, the other empty. On a very windy day (or in front of a strong fan--outside), pour the wheat from one container to the other, directly in the wind/fan. Small crud should blow out while the heavier wheat drops into the empty container. Good luck!

WyoLiving

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will have to try that.

The neighbor just told me to try that - but on a calm day. She tried to do it on a windy day and lost all of her wheat. :lol:
I guess alot depends on your definition of wind. Here - breezy can mean up to 30 mph gusts - windy means 25+ sustained wind.

Does anyone knwo what size screen you use to clean wheat? Maybe I can make a mini-wheat cleaner on the cheap.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have use a regular metal strainer and it seems to work with the smaller seeds.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
WyoLiving said:
Thanks for the advice. I will have to try that.

The neighbor just told me to try that - but on a calm day. She tried to do it on a windy day and lost all of her wheat. :lol:
I guess alot depends on your definition of wind. Here - breezy can mean up to 30 mph gusts - windy means 25+ sustained wind.
I guess it would depend on wind speed :) But you're right--wheat would need less of a wind than popcorn or flour corn. Good luck!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
25 mile sustained winds could make it more entertaining...just have someone stand to the side and see how much of the good stuff they can catch :lol:

Couldn't you use a fan inside a garage or something to do it, rather than relying on the wind. Seems like it'd be easier :hu

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you don't have any of that available, take a handful, and let it drop into your other hand while blowing on it. This is more time consuming, but it does work.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
now I'm wondering why a blow dryer wouldn't work....

WyoLiving

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You guys got me thinking now - we just bought a new bathtub (Jacuzzi with jets!) and have this long cardboard box that I could use as a wind tunnel to collect the stuff that blows away. I'm going to try it tonight. If that don't work, I'll try my blow dryer since I never use it for anything else.

As for the garge - we have a mouse problem in the garage already so I don't want to be adding anything in there that could possibly, in any way, attract or feed mice. DH needs to tear apart the ATV (again) and clean out the mouse house from inside the air filter - again! We had a packrat in the garage this fall - man those puppies really stink up a place!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try a clean Shop Vac The wheat will fall to the bottom and the light stuff will be trapped by the filter. Clean filter often. or turn the hose to blow the light stuff away without going into the vac. Turn off heat if using hair dryer.