Is this at all possible?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's going to be difficult to maintain their weights without them overeating, and keep the feed correct for the turkeys at the same time, unless you seperate them somehow.

I agree, that place is going to need a good bit of ventilation. Meat chickens STINK and will make a pit of that place in no time. I have not experimented with them on a deep litter system, but they definately have a stronger "aroma" although Bee used a homemade feeding program using fermentation to grow hers out and said they smelled like a regular chicken :hu You might try that. beyond that.....I got no advice :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup! I plan to be overly anal with the six I plan to keep... STRICT diets to keep them at an acceptable weight. Even if they don't produce exactly the same offspring, I've noticed that most people who have kept them and bred them to even outside breeds (mostly looks like rocks), the chicks still grow just about as well as the ones they get from the hatcheries... SO, if I can get these guys to breed with themselves, I should end up with chicks that are still very similar to hatchery chicks.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think if you can take a cheap box fan and hang it from the ceiling, you shouldnt have any problems with air quality. you wouldnt have to run it all the time, just if the smell is strong or the air seems stale.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1XJnflEqo

It actually wouldn't be hard to keep feed seperate... Turkeys are much taller than the cornish x, so if you raise it well enough, the cornish x cannot get to it. I'd obviously have to seperate the cornish x from cornish x though. Since I'm doing it much smaller scale, it'll be easier to weigh out the feed for each bird, and I can seperate each one. It will be a pain in the ass of course, but all in the name of science, and keeping cornish x hopefully.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Have you read "Possum Living". I forgot who wrote it.
Well, they had chickens and rabbits in their basement, but I think they did have a basement window. They used the litter/poop/whatever in their garden. I found it a very interesting read. It did give them an extra chore or two, but it kept their animals safe and pretty much top secret.....it was a win-win situation all around from what I read.
Check it out, if you have Kindle or something. From what you have described, I would think you could pull it off. And if it don't work, you can always have a BBQ.
Got my book today! It's a different writing style than I was expecting, and I swear, I'm sick of reading "daddy" all the time, but it really is a good book otherwise. :) Some ideas I wouldn't want to use for myself, but some are pretty good ideas! A good read, for sure (despite "daddy").

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far, this idea has been working very well. The turkeys are finally getting the hang of leaving the room when I try to shoo them out. Some of the chickens still try to follow, but there's NO WAY I'm chasing 60+ chickens around, trying to gather them all up out of the yard. After wednesday, I'll be pared down to the eight ducklings and the five turkeys, so it'll make my life easier as far as free-ranging, because I won't have to try to sort everyone out while getting the free-rangers out there, because they'll ALL be going out. The ducklings have been doing well with free-ranging... You can always tell when the poults break free though, because the dicks really start screaming. They've been doing really well about staying away from traffic, which is definately good, lol. The inmates have a blast watching the poults. I usually let them out once they're done with the one side, and the inmates who do that side like watching them race through the yard, picking at whatever they've stirred up with the lawnmowers. I wonder how they'll feel about the ducklings, lol.