Is this at all possible?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I think I get what you mean, ORChick, though my thought is to potentially put it on the outside, rather than the inside, but I guess if the room is big enough then inside would still allow for plenty of space!

Oh, and I had the thought that it would be important for the birds to get sunshine... they need their Vitamin D too! If they're getting some free range time somehow, then it isn't as big of a deal, but windows into the room would be a really good thing. South facing would also help produce more heat. You could even use something like the soda can heaters to help create more heat in the room if you needed it.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
So, I found a new spot in the house... It's concrete floors, concrete walls and a wooden door, electricity is there, but this is an unheated addition they put on. The door opens to the outside, no inside access. Anyways, what I'm wondering is... How hard would it be to keep this thing clean? Can I use pine shavings in there and keep all of the birds in there, instead of building a coop? It's HUGE! I'd obviously have to figure out roosting areas, but really, if I can keep this thing clean, it'd be perfect! Nothing is going to come through that door, short of possibly a bear, but hell, he'd be hard pressed to get in there, and I'd have plenty of time to get the gun out. So, whatcha think? Is it possible, with shavings or something, to keep it clean?
You could always put down sheet plastic (used by builders as moisture barriers under floors and in walls & ceilings) it comes in rolls folded so to cover more width as it is unrolled. Shavings on top to absorb the poop.

Are you sure you want as a coop sounds to me like a root celler or storm hideout?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, everything is done. I wish I had read the comment about the plastic before doing it! There are some ventilation holes, not quite as big as a cellar window, but I'm thinking it'll be sufficient. It took a full bag to just cover the floor in a thin layer. I put about an inch or so near the heat, feed and water, and a little less in the other areas where they won't be spending as much time. Since they're only in there for night time and bad weather, it should be fine. However, the storms lately have been just about solid. They've been spending more time indoors than outside, which really sucks. The chicks haven't been outside to range at all though, so this isn't too much different from just letting them in the brooder all day, except that they have a lot more room to run through, and with the shavings, they've been having a blast dust bathing, which they couldn't do with newsprint/papertowels in the brooder. Also bought a feeder, so that's really helping with the feed wastage. I'll get pictures soon. I took the camera down only to realize that the darned memory card was still in the computer, lol. I still need to put a board down to help contain the bedding, but there is a little lip there now that'll help contain what's in there now. Once the board goes across, I should be able to open the doors for fresh air and sunlight during the day, for the chicks that can't go out for forage. I figure I'll brood in the little brooder for a few days, then move them over to this room until they're sold or taken to auction. Anyways, they all seem to really be enjoying the new room. It was a little dirty in there to start... After cleaning it out, I was blowing my nose and everything was black/brown. YUCK! So, hopefully this works, especially once the crappy weather moves along and we have nice weather for them to be out all day again. Now, I need to figure out how to make roosts for when they're larger, and figure out just how many cornish x I want to order, lol.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Way to go! Congrats on the progress! Sounds like things are on the move! Can't wait to see pictures! :ya

Sounds like you need to flush everything out with a neti pot! I always have to use mine after I've been out in dutry grit. blech! :sick

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now that I have read thru the whole thread I want to toss some cold water on your plans. Start at the bottom is there drainage of this basement room? Powerwashing is easy and even can be fun. Bailing out the water you used will not be. Even if there is a drain care must be taken not to clog it or you will have a mess on your hands. Worry about heat? Do you know how much body heat a chicken produces? Even in North Freezebutt the coop is likely to be the warmest spot on the farm. Add the deep litter method (developed where deep snow prevented clean out and disposal during the winter) and you have a indoor compost heap that your birds and you will be walking around on the top of. The birds do Ok but you are going to need some walking boards or very high boots. Another good source of heat and ammonia and other gases and they remove oxygen in order to 'work'
Does this suggest the need for VENTULATION? IT SHOULD. The ammonia will drive you out before it kills you but your birds are confined in there so it might be bye-bye birdy. Oh there used to be a common disease called brooder lung caused by a fungus supported by the heat and huminity of brooding chicks it used to be cronic but now it can be cured after only 3 months of treatment once the fungus takes hold in your lungs it is hard to kill. If you can not get enough natural venting you may have to go to forced air to get out the dangerous products of your chicken reactor.
If I were you I would stop and think. I know of few basement coops that are home to more than a half dozen birds.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our's is actually rather cold. The North side is backed into a hill, South side is the main basement, East is the little pantry/root cellar thing, and it opens to the West. I'll have more of an issue keeping it warm than cool, I'm thinking. The shavings definately helped though, my feet were no longer too cold with the shavings. Even if I have to skip the deep litter method, I don't think it should be too big of an issue to clean it out... Much easier than compost. Just scoop it with the flat shovel. I can take the garden rake in there to mix it up, and even spot clean the heavy traffic areas if need be. I'll have to go get pictures, so everyone can see what I'm trying to describe, lol.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I considered a lot before I entered that last post (no one likes a know it all) I figured I should warn you of some problems I could see to offset those that were cheering you on. Good luck with your projects!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
753_1.jpg

753_2.jpg

753_3.jpg

753_4.jpg

I'm thinking that I will need to add ventilation to the doors. Heavy gage wire to keep anything out. I'll also need to cover the current little vent in there, to prevent the possibility of wild birds entering. Does anyone else see any issues? At first I thought there was mildew down there, but there're no signs of dampness, and it's been raining pretty solid the past two weeks.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
I considered a lot before I entered that last post (no one likes a know it all) I figured I should warn you of some problems I could see to offset those that were cheering you on. Good luck with your projects!
Nope, I appreciate your comments as well. I'm looking for help to turn this idea into a working "coop", so all comments are welcome, and will help me to figure this out. An ounce of prevention... Right?

hqueen13

Reaction score
Very cool, Betta. yes, I think the easiest place to add ventilation would be the door, plus it would help let daylight into the room, which would eliminate some of the need for electricity with lighting. I'd say the more ventilation you can add, the better, though keeping it warm will be the other challenge (especially without creating fire hazards)