Is this governement run the way it was meant?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:
In regards to the Civil War, I say that by how the governement was intended it should have been perfectly legal for states to secede. As far as slavery, it should have been done away with and would have been as the industrial revolution set in. HOWEVER one can tell that this was not President Lincoln's agenda by the fact that when he issued the Emancipation Proclomation (1863) he only freed the slaves in the 11 Confederate States (which truly, did he have jurisdiction?). That left the Slaves in Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri, Delaware, and Maryland enslaved. So no I don't think that was the true cause for the Civil War, maybe a mask for the true purpose.

The Federal Reserve is also unconstitutional, considering it is operated by outside powers and banks :rolleyes:

So many injustices...
:hu true purpose? :hu

10 States - FL, AL, MS, GA, LA, TX, AR, SC, NC, VA. TN was not included since TN (and what is now West Virginia) was mostly under Union control the EP was for territory NOT under Union control. Sorry, like to be precise.. :p

Slavery was in decline. Early on, Lincoln was a supporter of sending slaves out of the country. Lincoln's own words My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. Yes, this is from Wikipedia because I don't have the entire quote memorized. ;) He wanted the carnage to stop. Really, all he had to do to stop the war was to withdraw his troops from the Confedercy! heck VA and NC joined the South only when it became apparent that he was going to roll over them to get to SC! The blockaide would have worked with much less blood shed. ~gd I remember rule 12 of this board.

The history of the country through the Nullification Crisis in 1830's I think disputes your notion the legality of States to secede. :D But what do I know, I'm a Yankee.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Tragic part of our nation's history. It would be great to discuss history, keeping politics and religion out (I remember rule #12, too :) ), I do respect your knowledge.

Interesting hypothesis on the blockade, how long do you think it would have taken? Don't forget the Union had to capture several key ports in order to provide the coverage, due to the range limitations on vessels of the time.