Is this where I say hello????

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I feel like I'm in the presence of a celebrity (faints) :)

Nice to have you here!!! Do stick around!! :frow

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Welcome from Mississippi!!! I remember that show also!!! Where can your book on SS be purchased?

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome!!! I'm new around here too. I saw the show I think it's wicked cool you joined the forum!!!I am so excited to see your future posts :D I'm brand new to the idea and actually implementing of being self sufficient. Seriously new lol :p

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello from another Western Mass'er.. :woot

kathy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We're in zone 4-5. We grow 5 kinds of mushrooms, apples. plums, pears and peaches, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, blackberries, elderberries, strawberries, plumberries, gooseberries, currants and service berries. The grapes have done great but the kiwi is not productive yet. Then there are hazlenuts, butternuts and we just got walnuts although there will be no nuts for a decade. We have rhurbarb and asparagus and maybe 20 different varieties of herbs. We are blessed with a lot of wild edibles like fiddleheads, winterberry, cress, and things like purslane and lamb's quarters. WE have another 4 acre woodlot that produces lots of mushrooms and gives a good supply of firewood. It has taken a few years to get to this place but we feel good about the process, even though a lot of the trees won't produce well until I'm dead and gone. I plant for my kids and grandkids, the birds and the bees. I really want to grow sassafra but I think we're a hair too cold although I have ordered two plants and we'll just have to see. I know there are some other things banging around but I won't remember until I see them. This weather has been amazing if somewhat unusual. We had a fairly good sap run. We only produce enough for family use and some for gifts. It's going to take a while to poke around here and see what everybody is up to.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I have service berries growing wild here. At least that's what they look like, but the fruit is so small that it would take forever to gather enough if I managed to beat the birds to it! I tried one and it tasted okay though.(after I looked it up and was reasonably sure that was what all those pretty trees were!)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I really want to grow sassafra
Did you mean sassafras? If so, you're fine for it. It will grow from the southern most part of Maine on down. We have several trees in our yard as well as in the woods next to us. It's a common tree in this part of SJ.

Mart

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey Kathy!!

Nice to see a known face! Can't really welcome you as I'm also a brand new newbie, but I'll say hi anyway.