It has begun....

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Nope... I am just so excited that I left the above post on my screen without posting it for a good hour. DUH.

Here's what I did today. As a result of the storm that took my fence out (which we are replacing next week, and the opening for which is now covered with orange plastic webbing, I have just done something I have only dreamed about since I started thinking a garden might work for me. I never expected in a million years that I would be able to do this, primarily from a cost standpoint. So, this is a very big deal....

Picture477.jpg

It's not perfect, but I did it myself and that covers a lot of blemishes ! The Lord willing, I will do a bit of a lasagna garden style, and hope to lower the paths to use that dirt and also to make me have to bend less.

There is room to the right for two more, and then I will also enclose the area where the brussels sprouts and broccoli are now. That will soon be peas and pole beans so they can be trellised on the chain link.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
BBH: I have so many seeds right now, I might need four MORE !!! I figure if I plant everything I possibly can, something out to grow !!!

MP: I have read about the use of pressure treated wood in raised beds, and it seems to be an acceptable risk in this case. Basically, the fence was in place for 17 or 18 years. It was probably made with pressure treated wood, I don't remember. I just know it was the cheapest thing I could get. Anyway, after 17 or 18 years, most of the chemicals would have leached out, I find. I was interested in this article with respect to the degree of leaching into the soil. http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/pressure-treated-wood-in-beds.aspx

I guess it's a crap shoot. But I think in this particular case I am safe. If, after harvest, you don't hear from me again---I was wrong.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
yes, there is it! E4S!
For my friend BB

First some pencil tree tea
confused0078.gif

Then a massage
vahidrk1.gif

Then a little cutting of your favorite 'parts'
160.gif

Then I sing Bang, Bang
connie_24.gif

Then Beefy comes to visit
Just_Cuz_15.gif

Then Hoo shows up with her rolling pin
5.gif

flat.gif
245.gif

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's some nice looking dirt there! I envy you. I have play dough dirt, and rocks.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you ! Here's what it looked like six months ago.

Picture184.jpg

I was lucky with the soil, because that portion of the yard had years and years of dried leaves from the three trees that were in there. Took those out and when I started to take out the bermuda grass I realized that there might be good dirt under all that mess.

Javamama said:
That's some nice looking dirt there! I envy you. I have play dough dirt, and rocks.