It has begun....

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Forgot to mention...I have been told that using black plastic warms the ground up a bit more, so you can work it up to a month sooner. Not sure it is true, but I am giving it a shot.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes on the black plastic. I have one bed covered as we speak trying to kill of the crab grass that has invaded. Normally in Sept/ Oct I go to sis in laws and load up on horse manure then spend all fall and winter turning in over. This year I got zip. The tractor was broke and I was way to chicken to enter the horse area on foot. Most of my beds are ok but I needed just a bit more.

your onions should do great in tubs. Last year was my first year with onion sets. I did ok but as they matured the gophers helped themselves. As usual. This year they will go in a raised bed.

I think the peat moss in the lasagna garden is to retain moisture. I think if you stay on top of the watering you should be fine.

I am so excited. :weee

g

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in chillywilly Canada lol now heres my little explanation on plastic to warm the soil which I'm sure you'll enjoy..

Most people here don't plant Tomatoes until May/June because of the chance of frosts killing the baby plants off. I planted mine in April LOL I put up a "raised bed" around them and put 2 pieces of wood staked into the ground in the middle of the bed. On nights I knew it was going to be cold or below freezing, I watered the bed in the morning, and stapled 6 mil clear plastic over the bed and left it all day. During the day it would steam up and create a nice little hot house, and it kept its heat overnight.

In August when people were confused that their tomatoes were tiny and had little fruit, my tomatoes were as tall as my waist (i'm 5'10!!) and we had so many tomatoes we had to feed to the chickens near the end. I had over 150lbs of tomatoes. I couldn't even gift them as fast as they were ripening. I made enough tomato sauce for the winter which has been used in chili a lot here.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That's a lot of work, but it sounds like it was totally worth it !!!

Oh, and to moderators: I put this in the wrong category. I thought I was in "Everything Else Self Sufficiency" (is that right?)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh no not really, I had the plastic precut lol and I used the same piece of plastic every time :D Worked really great.

Hoop houses and poly tunnels are a great idea too, using pvc pipe curved over the bed with plastic on it as well. We do that with some of our beds.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:clap
yay!! You are gonna do great with your garden!!

What I think we have learned about you that when you set you mind to something new, you tackle it 150%

I am excited to watch your garden grow :thumbsup

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
A genteel way to define obsessive-compulisive disorder ! (I don't really have that, but sometimes it seems like it !)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
A genteel way to define obsessive-compulisive disorder ! (I don't really have that, but sometimes it seems like it !)
If you say so ;)

Seriously, it was a compliment! I know you will have a ball 'diving into' gardening :weee

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like you are off to a good start with the garden.
Thanks for sharing the pictures - helps me daydream of our garden as I sit in the freezing cold temps with snow on the ground and snow in the forecast for tonight.

Lucky you!