Itchy Dog...benadryl ain't cutting it....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
sorry, double post....my computer keeps glitching and doing that today. sorry.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bjmstahl said:
Our dog had problems with hot spots, hair loss and an awful smell. We put ACV (about 1 tbsp.) in his drinking water and within three days showed great improvement.
This has been a terrible summer for our male golden retriever, too. About three weeks ago I started putting 2 T. of our homebrew ACV in the water bowl at each fill-up. At first we did not see any effect but after one week he started improving and now he seems MUCH better. Since it has been three weeks I'm not sure if it is the ACV that helped.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Here too. We have 3 dogs but the Golden always seems to suffer the most. We have to do monthly flea treaments but it just isn't enough! We give him Benadryl but I wish I had a permanent solution. So frustrating and he just seems down all the time. Probably from the Benadryl.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Damummis said:
Poor Spike is still itching up a storm. Practicaly chewed his tail off. I have tried everything. Today, I gave him a bath, and rinsed him really good. Then I mixed up some peroxide, borax and tea tree oil. Let's see if that helps.
Here is a good link about the different reasons dogs itch:

http://www.alldoghealth.com/how-to-stop-dog-itchy-skin/

This link has some suggestions how to use your tea tree oil and also suggests oatmeal:

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/home-remedy-for-a-dogs-itchy-skin_751.html

Regarding peroxide and borax, I believe that is for treatment of mange, not itching:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6630362_borax-peroxide-mange-treatment.html

Borax:
You are on the right track, but I wouldn't put the borax ON the animal, I'd use it to treat fleas in the environment. Or I might use it in a wash for its antiseptic properties but not leave it on the skin as it is toxic.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4421449_use-borax-kill-fleas.html

Regarding the peroxide, I could not find any supporting literature regarding using it for itching. When I worked for veterinarians, they were often worried when clients used pure peroxide on wounds and such as it prevents healing. While "benzoyl peroxide" is a shampoo I see advertised for humans and dogs with itchy skin, usually I see peroxide used as a home remedy for itchy EARS (mixed with water).

I hope you find my input on this thread helpful.
I am using the peroxide/borax as a diagnostic treatment. Spike had mange in the spring. If it is a repeat then it should help. I don't want to pump ivermectin into him again. I am also going to try the ACV in his water too.

Your input is always appreciated.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd try the ACV too. Lots of people seem to have good luck with it!

Freda Smith

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
For dog owners with dog's who have hot spots, Gold Bond rapid relief was very effective for my Maggie. Course, I caught it early, but it not only soothed the spots, they were healed by day 3. Hopefully this will help some beloved pets.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the products we sell in our business is shea butter. A woman wrote to tell me she uses it and uses it for her dog who has a few dry, itchy spots with good success.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used a mixture of Listerine -- the old gold kind -- and little baby oil to soften & hold in place. Listerine is anti-bacterial & anti-fungal. Sure has helped with any animals I have used it on, esp hot spots on dogs & cats.

Most of the continual itching is from internal issues with foods & allergies, as mentioned by others. It often takes a combo of treatments to help them. ACV does many things in there. I'd maybe add some oregano & garlic to their feed....both medicinal. You can buy oregano oil at My Pet Chicken. These things can help with the tissue inflammation created by the actual problem causing the "itchies". Symptomatic treatments.

It's such a "try, wait & see" situation with animals, quite often.