It's almost chick time

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I
I just threw a broody offa da nest! But, I'm watching your experiment closely - really impressed with what you've put together!
wouldn't normally be hatching at this time of the year either, nor would I normally hatch eggs from the rooster I currently have, but I just wanted to test this method before committing some good eggs to it.

Don't know what I'll do with these little mutts but will probably sell them...never sold chicks before so that ought to be interesting.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Will be hatching these eggs from the natural nest incubation on the first day of spring. Right now there are 3 eggs that made it to this point. Through operator error, the first two nests were pretty much killed early on or many eggs were infertile.

This current nest started with 12 eggs and is now down to three viable eggs that seem to be on track for a timely hatch.

I will also be using a heating pad heater in an open air brooder this week for brooding these chicks, which is also a first for me, so this ought to be interesting.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have 14 'scovey eggs in the bator right now. I don't know if I'll get anything from this or not. It's an experiment.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I caved and bought 16 chicks mid Feb. I needed to get some layers working as soon as we got back to Ca. I have 8 buff orps, and 8 others I can never remember the breeds. They have just been moved to my little coop.

My next chicks will be Freedom Ranger s for the freezer. I do however want to try ducks again.

I have a Styrofoam coioler incubator I made last year. I still would like to try it out. Just need some eggs.

Bee, im going to have to go check out your link.

G

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen

..... we have a pip.
cool.png
Egg # 6 has decided to be first out this morning and is cheeping(heh heh...get it?

chipping/cheeping...oh, never mind...it was funny in my own mind
big_smile.png
) her way through the shell.

wee.gif

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Have started another nest of eggs in which it looks like most of the will be viable and are developing on schedule. I'm really excited about this one due to the better eggs being used and the number of them that are showing good development.

I added a qt of water to the soil under the nest before setting the eggs and then no more will be added throughout the rest of the incubation period. I'm hoping this will more closely mimic a broody hatch and be more successful in the end.

Will post pics of the finished hatch....hatch date will be 4/17. Anybody else hatching right now?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have 9 muscovy eggs in the incubator due to hatch out the 13th. And, I'm trying to get a hen to go broody.