It's almost chick time

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me neither. For some time I've been thinking it could be done but didn't have the nerve to try it....I'm also going to use her to brood the chicks if they hatch, so one heating pad will do the two main jobs of a broody. I've made a wire frame work so the chicks can get under her and it's adjustable if need be, though I don't see a hen adjusting her crouch much for older chicks....they just have to crawl under there.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How cool is that! I love it! My ol' heating pad finally bit the dust a couple years ago. The new one kicks off after two hours. I wish I had one like yours.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just like the whole frugal aspect of this experiment...materials used are a heating pad, meat thermometer, trash bag, cardboard box, dirt, leaves, hay, water, feathers from the free roosters I scored this winter, scraps of material, and a Bible(book).

Can't get much cheaper than that on an incubator...if this works it just might be the easiest and cheapest way a person can get into a flock of chickens.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How cool is that! I love it! My ol' heating pad finally bit the dust a couple years ago. The new one kicks off after two hours. I wish I had one like yours.

Walmart sells them...this one has settings where you can make it kick off after two hours or just stay on permanently.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The nest is holding temps excellently at a steady 99.5-100.0, eggs were turned and randomly shuffled so that eggs on the outside got a turn on the inside and vice versa. I'm really loving how nice the nest box is holding temps and the bedding under the nest is still moist and cool to touch.

Temps held on a steady 100.0* throughout the night, even with the ambient temps dropping 20* in the room after nightfall. We are coming to the end of the 2nd day of the hatch...only 19 more to go!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just threw a broody offa da nest! But, I'm watching your experiment closely - really impressed with what you've put together!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No hatching right now for me. I haven't gotten the breeding pairs separated. I'm hoping to pick up some wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucana chicks at the upcoming chicken show. I asked the breeder who often brings chicks and she said she hopes to have some.

My silkie chicks are a week and a half old now. Mama took them out into the grass today for a few minutes. We pick up two adult pairs of partridge silkies this weekend, and I will have to hatch eggs from them when I get enough.