Its alomst Time to Plant

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wow, almost time? I have almost everything planted & things are starting to sprout already. I still have 2 more tires to plant in & build another raised bed out of cinder blocks & get my next batch of asparagus crowns planted now that the last of the peas died off. Already sorting out my seeds for fall/winter garden too & planning the layout for it too. I see next water bill as a high one!! In fact the next 6 mos worth of water bills as high ones!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well...I got my onions in...whew! 50 reds, 50 yellows. This weekend, the taters go in. I think everything else will have to waite. I cant get into the one garden because we just got another inch of rain! :rolleyes: Way too muddy to get in there. Oh well...I can get the taters, onions,broom corn, and indian corn in the upper garden. My garlic is coming up great! I cant waite to have fresh herbs, garlic, and veggies! :drool

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I planted some stuff that said "early spring", "plant as soon as soil can be worked" and "cold tolerant". I put in a planting bed near the foundation. It is sheltered, but this is a big experiment. Colorado spring weather can get pretty whacky.

I should know in a week or so if I am totally insane or what :p

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow Wifezilla, your brave, I'm in CO and I'm not planting until until May. Sounds like you put stuff in a good spot though. Last year I put my taters in about this time and of course it snowed a couple times but they were fine, I think the real hot weather we got bothered them way more. I wish I could plant some stuff sooner but we are completly re-doing our gardens so I won't even have things ready until the middle to end of April. Well I should have my strawberry bed done this weekend and it seems I read that strawberrys and onions do well together so maybe I can get something in a bit earlier, my strawberries should be in the first week of April. Good luck with your experiment. :)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I usually wait until May...usually Mother's day, but even that is no guarantee. I have had plenty of stuff wiped out in early June due to hail :p

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh I so know what your talking about, I have been beaned more times than I care to think about trying to get the gardens covered in time LOL! 6 years ago we had over 10,000.00 in damage to our house from a hail storm. we had hail stones the size of softballs it was so scary. It never fails just as the gardens are looking wonderful BAM hail or super heavy rains that just flood everything. Oh the joys of gardening in CO. I'm definatly shooting for Mothers day this year, hopefully I will have all done...

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We just finished getting our ground broke on the garden. If the weather will cooperate, we'll get some compost spread and tilled into to it soon. Whoohoo! I love Spring.

GardenArea.jpg

We also just scored a nice quantity of canning jars off the local Freecycle group. We haven't even planted and I'm already looking forward to harvesting. :D

Wifezilla

Reaction score
LOL...I think your "garden" is bigger than my entire lot.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I usually wait until May...usually Mother's day, but even that is no guarantee. I have had plenty of stuff wiped out in early June due to hail :p
That's why we had to go with the hoophouse. I kept losing everything to wind and hail and my tomatoes are too precious for that kind of nonsense.

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
LOL...I think your "garden" is bigger than my entire lot.
Feeling the same way but think of the weeding they have to do plus the wild wife attacking their garden. It is a beautiful plot of land and I wish you all a great season:cool:

Latest posts