Jackhammer Radish Cover Crop

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i like radish sprouts more than i like the radishes themselves. they do make a very good cover crop and soil conditioner. i've used Daikon radishes for that here and they can be very impressive plants and radishes. i like the flowers too. like turnips they're something to add to the diversity mix around here and can be an emergency food source if needed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i like radish sprouts more than i like the radishes themselves. they do make a very good cover crop and soil conditioner. i've used Daikon radishes for that here and they can be very impressive plants and radishes. i like the flowers too. like turnips they're something to add to the diversity mix around here and can be an emergency food source if needed.
I believe jackhammer radish is a daikon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read more about Jackhammer Radish and learned it is a nitrogen scavenger. That makes it a poor choice for my garden. Whoops!

why is that? often they are such a quick crop and can be turned under that whatever they've soaked up can be returned to the next round of plantings. yes, you don't want to plant them where your heavy feeding first crop is going in but there are other spaces that might be used that ways without too much trouble. :) anyways, just some thoughts on that comment... :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
why is that? often they are such a quick crop and can be turned under that whatever they've soaked up can be returned to the next round of plantings. yes, you don't want to plant them where your heavy feeding first crop is going in but there are other spaces that might be used that ways without too much trouble. :) anyways, just some thoughts on that comment... :)
I don't turn it under. I pull it out and use the mulch piles to choke out weeds and for compost-in-place. It will decompose eventually and I'll get the nitrogen back. Just not anytime soon.