jam ? what to do with all the extra...

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A few years back I decided to give a dozen or so gifts of small jams that I had made as Christmas gifts to various colleagues in my school where I work. Not ONE of them said a word about it, except an older lady who a month later said casually, "Hey, I guess you want your empty jar back, huh?" as she handed it to me.

And these are the teachers who complain that our youth have no manners...!!! Never again will I "throw my pearls before swine"!!!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raro said:
A few years back I decided to give a dozen or so gifts of small jams that I had made as Christmas gifts to various colleagues in my school where I work. Not ONE of them said a word about it, except an older lady who a month later said casually, "Hey, I guess you want your empty jar back, huh?" as she handed it to me.

And these are the teachers who complain that our youth have no manners...!!! Never again will I "throw my pearls before swine"!!!
I totally agree... some people just do not appreciate...and you would think the lady that handed you the jar would have at least said Thank you! Oh, wow..... that's why I have very few that I give anything like this to. Same concept goes for quilting. I love to make quilts and give but in my eyes there is very few that are worthy...

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a shelf in my dining room filled with jams and marmalades and butters. Recently there was a delivery woman here and it caught her eye, and she started talking about how her grandmother made the best apple butter ever. I almost gave her a jar. I regret that I didn't because I think she would really have appreciated it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I made jam year before last for everyone and included my daughters boyfriend, who was new to the family at the time. I handed each of them a jar and she turns to me and says, well, "He will never eat this, he hates fruit!" I almost fell on the floor and almost took it back right there. I managed to say something like, "Well you eat it, then, since when have you not liked fruit?"
But this last year I did not feel like making jam. I don't know sometimes where that girls manners went, she just says whatever comes into her head I guess.

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OMG Strawberry freezer jam on waffles with whipped cream.
In between two yellow cake layers frost with whippy icing.
I use my pumpkin butter in a cake mix and frost with creamcheese frosting.
Whip some jam into cream cheese and cool whip and put in grahm cracker crust.
Ohhh Iam hungrey now. Its lunch time.LOL
This one of my favorites great for get togethers.use any kind of jam.

Raspberry Cake Mix Bars

1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup melted butter
1 (12 ounce) jar raspberry jam
1 tablespoon water

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine cake mix and oats. Stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Put about 3 cups of mixture into a 9 x 13-inch pan and press firmly.

Combine jam and water. Spoon over crumb mixture, spreading evenly.

Cover with remaining crumb mixture. Pat firmly to even out the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Cool before cutting into bars.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pumpkin butter? Now that is a new one for me, I've never heard of it. Sounds good though.

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a ton left this yr as well. I made way too much :) I've given it to everyone. Some people have asked for more :) I'm blaming it on the BYC "what are you canning now" thread....

Got me into trouble...lol