jam ? what to do with all the extra...

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so far, strawberry and blueberry. but i think i will try grape later when the grapes are in season here. i am so excited!!! i love spring!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We never have extra. Its hard work harvesting wild blueberries, cranberries and currents.
Never have enough to last, unless we ration carefully.
So jam is a rarity :hit

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ashylove1 said:
lol... now if only i could find some raw milk....:D that would be good with my jam!
I have raw milk and it's great of course...lol... but what I really love with homemade jam is the homemade butter and a big loaf of homemade bread.....Yummmmmmmmmmm....;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
ashylove1 said:
lol... now if only i could find some raw milk....:D that would be good with my jam!
I have raw milk and it's great of course...lol... but what I really love with homemade jam is the homemade butter and a big loaf of homemade bread.....Yummmmmmmmmmm....;)
Ever made clotted cream? :drool

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
kimnkell said:
ashylove1 said:
No, I've never heard of it. But I love just keeping the cream off the top of the milk to put in my coffee.....it's just heaven.. So what do you do with the clotted cream and how do you make it?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I give a lot as gifts, so that helps. There was still extra jam though (I really LIKE making jelly/jam/marmalade) so I had two kids. That pretty much took care of it
That's one way to get rid of that extra jam...and extra money...and excess sanity...

:gig

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
kimnkell said:
No, I've never heard of it. But I love just keeping the cream off the top of the milk to put in my coffee.....it's just heaven.. So what do you do with the clotted cream and how do you make it?
If you watch Edwardian farm (youtube), and follow their exact methods for farmers clotted cream, you will have success.

Next time I do it, I am going to add an extra quart of cream to the milk, and then be able to have enough to go around.

What to do with it?
Eat it with jam and bread!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I give a lot as gifts, so that helps. There was still extra jam though (I really LIKE making jelly/jam/marmalade) so I had two kids. That pretty much took care of it
That's one way to get rid of that extra jam...and extra money...and excess sanity...

:gig
I usually give my jams and jellies at Christmas too but I didn't give much away this past year because of the past experiences with my family.... They don't seem to appreciate receiving a homemade gift such as canned goods...I don't understand why but... I don't feel that I should give to those who don't appreciate the work that I put into it. However, there are some of my friends that truly appreciate it and would love to have it all the time.....

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
kimnkell said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
If you watch Edwardian farm (youtube), and follow their exact methods for farmers clotted cream, you will have success.

Next time I do it, I am going to add an extra quart of cream to the milk, and then be able to have enough to go around.

What to do with it?
Eat it with jam and bread!
Oh, Wow....sounds great. I'll have to check it out...

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No such thing as extra jams here. We give some to family at Christmas.

But mostly we sell it at farmers markets. And I mean a BUNCH of it. It's nothing for me to make 5 or 6 batches of a single flavor jam in one day....followed by more in other flavors later in the week. Every fruit that comes in season, I start off by filling 3 to 5 dozen jars, then add more. When we include jam in our CSA boxes.....waalaaa! 60 jars or more fly out the door in one week.

Send your "spares" LOL....we'll help dispose of them :D