January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Given the weather, you'll be forgiven for thinking I'm talking about cars with my title :)

But for many January is the time to actually get started on this years garden...even if that just means ordering seeds!

Nothing is getting started in my house until February at the earliest, but there's still planning to be done!
Maybe some of those December dreams become more concrete this month!

So what are your garden plans looking like now?

teg-jpg.5765

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Still very much in the "thinking about it" stage right now. I need to pen up my free range birds and get a secure coop up for them, so they will be confined to an area and I will be able to realistically think about having something grow out there. Once that is done, I am going to section off an area for a small lawn and start making beds for vegetables and prepare a spot for @Beekissed's pumpkins.

Seeds wise, I need to find gem squash seeds… There is a company in Ireland somewhere that I think had some… I really need to get my roses in the ground too.

ETA: https://www.seedaholic.com/edibles.html

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ordering seeds today and excited about a new mulch covering for the garden, about having a few raised beds in which to plant some root crops and also about using grow tunnels more this year. A new direction in a new year...what's not to love?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Still just playing around, but putting down some ideas for one of my gardens:
upload_2018-1-2_14-53-12.png

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ordering seeds today and excited about a new mulch covering for the garden, about having a few raised beds in which to plant some root crops and also about using grow tunnels more this year. A new direction in a new year...what's not to love?

So how many packets dd you order?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ordered seeds, but we won't plant for a long while! We'll start a few seeds but not many this year. Just planting a basic garden, but hopefully it'll be a good one anyway! I am already anxious for spring and winter has just begun!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Only just 14 so far. Mostly lettuces, pak choi, onions, carrots, cabbage, peppers and peas so far. Haven't yet chosen broccoli or other misc. items. Still shopping!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got more seeds than I can plant in my garden. I plan on building some raised beds, trellis, etc. I'm also toying with the idea of planting all my fences with pole beans and maybe tilling a spot right in the front yard for bush beans.

I got ideas man....i just haven't done squat yet. Lol