January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't have much of a plan. I'm not a planner. What I can tell you is I'm gonna get an early start and plant new things just before the old things are done. I'm also gonna pack it much tighter this go around.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have a vision not a plan :) That works!

I'm getting into a more specifics mindset because if I can, I'd love to start a CSA in less then 6 years time.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's a big goal! I would be way too stressed out by that!

I'm trying to bury that feeling :lol::hit

But that's why I'm giving myself lots of time. And my ultimate goal is twenty members. I'm trying to give myself lots of room to fail so I don't overwhelm myself into thinking I can't do it.
So ya, that's why I'm getting out the spreadsheets :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They do meat CSAs also. Basically you pay per month to get a box of food that is fresh and in season from a local farm. There are a lot of them around here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My math on how much to plant for X number of freezer baggies for X amount of meals is simple. Plant a LOT. Nurture what comes up. Nurture what survives. Nature is harsh here, so far, so some thrive, some die, some never even come up. Can, freeze and dehydrate what ever makes it to harvest........is that why I had over 200 yellow squash in the 2016 garden?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's great having livestock that can eat whatever extra you have, if you grow too much! My pig ate a lot of zucchini last year... There's only so much zucchini one can eat!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule, I'm with you. I've got all kinds of seeds. I'll plant everything I can, and see what survives. Last year peppers and okra, cucumbers, oregano, basil, mint, and eggplant all did great. Tomatoes did poorly. Zucchini barely scraped by. Root crops all drowned... New year, new garden. Right now my celery looks fantastic. I rooted the bases after Thanksgiving and put them in pots last week...
IMG_20180110_161016.jpg