jars at Walmart

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our local Walmart is starting to carry their own brand of canning jars - made in China. I can't imagine people buying those over Ball simply to save a dollar a dozen. Has anyone noticed if they are selling, or are you like me and not at Walmart often enough to follow their stock?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed them. I will stick with Ball, thank you very much. In answer to your question, I've never seen them sold out of the W/M brand, & in our local store they're kept on the very bottom shelf (with Ball at waist level & above), so I hope that keeps them from selling many. ;) I know the Ball wide-mouth pints were sold out for a couple of weeks.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nah, my MIL has about 5000 ball jars in her basement. I don't forsee me ever needing to buy a jar lol

would I buy them if I needed them...hmmm...maybe. not sure cause I don't need them :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, we were over in Shelbyville last week and I noticed those WM jars, too. If they have a "made in China" label you can bet your sweet bippy they will never be in our grocery cart.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Saw em and refuse to buy em! Balls are the best!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dh bought them one day and brought them home. i flipped out and told him to not buy them again. they suck. all they have are the small mouthed ones at our store and the lids and rings rust in no time flat and just look and feel cheap. we'll certaintly be sticking with ball jars.

and i also noticed that the ball jars were suddenly "out of stock" also for a couple of weeks right after they started stocking their own brand, which is why dh bought them. hmmmm...coincidence i'm sure ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I've been buying the old ones at garage sales and goodwill. Screw walmart.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet they break or don't seal because of flaws with tiresome regularity