jars at Walmart

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed the prices lately? It looks like all of the packages of 12 jars are about $1.50 more than this past spring. Luckily we have about a gazillion old Mason, Kerr, Ball, and Anchor jars. But none of ours are widemouth. I'll bet those are nice.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I really liked the widemouth jars until I discovered that I can't fit as many into the canner. I also seem to get more failures on the widemouth jars. The lids are more expensive, too. So I've switched to only buying (rare!) reg mouth jars.

I made the mistake a couple of years ago of buying a few cases of Golden Harvest jars. NEVER again! I can't fit as many in the canner. I returned all the unopened cases and got Ball jars.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hide I bought some of the cheepie china jars... I really liked the smooth sides with no imprinted advertising for whichever company made them. I like to store many of my jars on top of my cabinets for extra storage plus it looks really pretty... but it does look nicer than the ball jars you can clearly see the canned and dried foods. So far I've pressure canned them along with vacuum sealed them and water bath canned and I haven't had one breakage or frailer yet.

I know they are not made in the usa and yes a 2 dollar savings might not sound like a lot... but I don't have any family or friends willing to part with any of their jars... people around here charge more for old jars at yardsales than they do new jars at walmart... I just started canning a few years back and still need to increase my stockpile of jars and when you need hundreds that's not cheap! I do buy ball jars for all my larger jars like half gallons and for all the small jelly jars so they still get a lot of business from me...

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I noticed them last week. Didn't buy them because they only had regular-mouth, no wide-mouth. Glad I didn't get any now that I know they were made across the seas.

Probably have a couple hundred jars but always looking for more at garage sales, etc. I don't can but do use them to store legumes, rice, and dehydrated fruits and veggies.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For me it is just principle, If there is an American made equivalent I will pay more (this is for any product not just jars). I would rather see jobs stay here in the USA, I am not judging just nudging people to think about it.
I too tried Golden Harvest jars a few years back and I did not like them as well, I just prefer ball I guess.
Right now where I live I only pay 6.25 for pints which is a steal, so I have been stocking up before they realize they are 4-6.00 below their local competitors.
Boy do I wish I had family to give me jars, most hold onto them like they are a precious commodity!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I literally know NO ONE who cans, so I have no choice but to buy new. Never see them at thrift stores or yard sales around here. :hit

...and I prefer wide-mouth pints so I pay almost $10/dozen. :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey 2bz

do you have a really scary junky type flea market in your area.
tons of times there are jars for the taking at these flea markets.

around here, the worst icky flea markets have tons of old bottles, medicine etc and also have tons of ball jars
just a possibility for finding some jars

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't seen Walmart brand jars here (yet?). But then I have a couple hundred jars of mixed sizes from jelly jars, 1/2 pint, pint & quarts both reg mouth & wide. Last year I bought a few cases at KMart that were priced less than anywhere else, just to have some new jars but the bulk of jars are from thrift stores when they had sales and from garage sales. Sometimes you can find jars on Craigslist, but not very often. New jars around here START at $10 per dozen & go up from there.
Last year we had a garage sale and I just happen to put up a sign asking for canning jars. Some woman said she had a bunch she wasn't going to use anymore & gave them to me (2 or 3 boxes). This year, a lady I work with gave me 2 boxes. When I first started looking for jars, I couldn't find any without paying an arm & a leg. So I just put the word out that I was looking for them and they kinda started showing up.
Now I just have to get more lids. :p

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Like sufficientforme, I buy American made products when possible. (BTW - Who remembers when Sam Walton was alive and Wal-Mart had the slogan, We buy American whenever we can, so you can too? Then they showed employees thanking Wal-Mart for saving/adding jobs. Funny, I dont recall them showing the factories closing when they started buying Chinese products.)

I have four or five dozen Golden Harvest jars from the seventies. While I have never had any trouble with sealing or breakage, they might be the reason I sometimes have difficulty getting seven jars in the canner. I will pay attention next time.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always try to purchase the domestic brand as opposed to the Chinese made equivalent simply as a matter of principal. I don't have the extra money to spare but I really believe if everyone spent a little bit more on products made domestically and tried to cut their dependence on imports the nation as a whole would be better off. Too many people are buying inferior products to save a dollar just so they can give that dollar back to the government to cover our debts.