jars score & homemade boxes for your canning jars

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I was looking for jars. We're coming up short this year, what with the garden and all. Such a blessing. I started canning with 6 doz pt jars thinking that it was a crazy number and that I'd never use that many. [Many, many jars later, I'm still searching for dozens more.] Well, I found someone who posted "several dozen" on CL for 2 $/doz. And these were qts, too. Normal price around here is 9 $ for 6 jars, which is 1.50 $ each. I guess I paid 0.17 $ each. Score!

But they didn't come with boxes, so I went home with 100 or so jars clinking around in my trunk. Had some blankets and light jackets for padding but I wasn't really prepared for it. Then I brought the jars in and covered the kitchen table. After moving the jars around for a while, I decided to make some boxes for them.

I had previously made several wood boxes out of 3/4" stock and 1/4" plywood. They were heavy and I wasn't inspired to make more. Then I remembered that the boxes my grandfather used to organize his closet lasted longer than he did. So I made a box for 6 qt jars, took it apart, and called it a template. The box is small enough to easily lift 6 jars, even when full. There is a slab of cardboard on the bottom, which seems to avoid the bottom blowing out.

Here's the template:

So I bought cardboard from Home Depot and made 18 boxes! Took a couple of hours. I've refined the template a bit. You can see that the top edge of the boxes are folded over. I learned to crease the cardboard 1/4" apart for those edges, which makes the folding easier and edge neater. There are other adjustments that are too subtle to describe but it's satisfying to refine the process. Here's the results:

The lady who sold the jars to me included a bunch of regular jars and charged me only 1 $/doz for those. I haven't used this type of jar much before but haven't had any problems on the occasion that I have. If regular jars are used for canning and do not break on their first use, how likely is it that they will break in the future.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom used the old glass mayo jars for years. She still has some. They were used for jams and juices. I read somewhere that that type of jar is fine for water bath but the thicker canning jars are best for pressure canning. All the broken jars Mom had break were damaged in storage or by being dropped or hit on something.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those boxes look really nice. I can see them lined up on shelves that are sized to fit, with a label on the box saying what's in that box. The cardboard would help protect the filled jars from light. Now, if you live in earthquake country, you could protect the jars further by making some sleeves for each jar out of bubble plastic as well.

I have a few old mayo jars that I inherited from older canners. They are still going strong. I usually use them for water bath canning, but I have tried pressure canning a few of them as well and had no problems.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I have a few old mayo jars that I inherited from older canners. They are still going strong. I usually use them for water bath canning, but I have tried pressure canning a few of them as well and had no problems.
After the applesauce discussion last week, I'll be doing a lot more water-bath canning in the coming week. So I'll use the regular jars first and save the canning jars for the pressure cooker.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My mom still cans in some of the old mayo jars too :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great score, and great job on the boxes!

I haven't seen a glass mayo jar in the store in years, but I regularly use commercial pasta sauce jars that a friend saves for me, and I also have several other mystery jars in my rotation that aren't "real" canning jars--never broken any of them. The only jars I've ever had break are older (like over 30 years old) Gem and Kerr quart fruit jars. Have never broken a Bernardin or Ball jar :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby did hot peppers and had a jar break on him. I'm thinking it was a Kerr. But then again, he had the lids screwed on real tight. Don't know if that would make a difference or not. I always just put them on finger tight.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And all the jars I've had break (maybe 5 over the years) have broken the same way--where the sides meet the bottom, as though the bottom was cut off. Sometimes really cleanly, once kinda on the diagonal a bit.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I mostly only do jams, juice, and fruit, so i haven't had any jars break while canning other than the one I dropped a full jar of juice on, but that doesn't count. I have a few of the old mayo jars myself, but they are full of honey. I'm not planning on throwing them out. I'll use them. I check the lip of jars to see if I can get a ring on it when we buy stuff, but most of the stuff we buy is smaller than a regular mouth ring.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Hubby did hot peppers and had a jar break on him. I'm thinking it was a Kerr. But then again, he had the lids screwed on real tight. Don't know if that would make a difference or not. I always just put them on finger tight.
I'd say that was probably it.

I have a jar blow ever once in a while. I use a lot of old jars. Most of mine have been bought on CL.

G