Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Thanks!! :)

So here is a recent project, I built some new potato baskets.
p2180859a.jpg

My old ones were eight years old and didn't make the move in good condition, but I got three more years out of them.

I have used this method to grow potatos for many years, I posted on another board that if you have some chicken wire and some tomatoe stakes (4) you can make yourself one of these, you don't have to have a metal frame like I do. (edit note; Place your four stakes at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock, drive them at least 8 inches in the ground.)

Put some landscape cloth or black plastic, take ten feet of 36" chicken wire and roll it round. Now place your basket on top of your black plastic and add 8 inches of compost, dirt, and grass/leaf clippings. Plant your seed potatos (10-12 inches apart), cover with three more inches of dirt, water. Once the plants get 6-7 inches high, add 3 more inches of dirt. Repeat till your basket looks like a chicken wire palm tree.

Once your tater plants have died, get a tarp or plastic, lay on one side of you basket. Gently remove your wire and stakes, then push the mound gently over on your plastic. TA-DA.... now you have 80-120 pounds of fresh taters without loosing any to hoeing or digging. Also, during the early frost, the basket is easy to cover without damage to your plants.

One note ****** Remember to visit your basket often and check to see if it needs water. With the sides being opened to the air, the soil inside the basket tends to get dry much quicker than if they were in the soil. I wrap plastic around mine during the hottest days of summer.

I have had small yields do to not covering the plants in time, but if you do it right, you'll have taters all winter long. :ya

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
Then it happened, :ep one of those dang paranas bit my nipple!!!!! :rant :lol: It happened so fast, and it down right hurt, worst than getting a twister. :hit
:yuckyuck
:lol: You know what they say about fishing right. The best kind of bait is live bait.

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
tell me about your business...looks like you do some cool things

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Welcome Jason! :frow Very nice looking spread you have there!!
And thanks very much for the tip on growing potato's!! :bow

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One word~WOWZA!!! Beautiful place!!!!! I guess that's more than one word, but still...... sooooooo pretty! :ep

Welcome to our place! Pull up a log and tell us more great ideas? :frow

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow, what a breathtaking little place you have there! Just beautiful! And your own fishing pond to boot..you should do wedding photography as a sideline! Thanks for the potato idea!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
tell me about your business...looks like you do some cool things
To avoid spamming, I will tell you what I do for a living. By Trade, I am a Coppersmith with that, I am a Master Craftsman. I learned my trade from another Master Craftsman and spent 11 years working under his trademark. I love what I do, making a living using my own hands with the results of wonderful products that are useful and look beautiful. I started my own buisness 6 years ago, and now own two businesses. Both of which have been very successful and continue to grow.

The basket idea has so many pro's that it is just a great idea. The amount of space that it saves in the garden is great, they can be placed any where on your property that gets sunlight. The amount of harvest is 3-4 times that of traditional row planting. Also its a great conversation piece.

Thank you, I do have a nice little piece of mother earth, but my house is something to be desired. But its made of brick, wood and nails, and over time I can make it better, the house has "good bones".

This year, my veggie garden is going to be bigger, I will miss my wildflowers though.

aP1010394.jpg

aP1010398.jpg

aP1010396.jpg

aP1010397.jpg

I think this little guy is a Rhino Moth

aP1010384-1.jpg

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beautiful place and gifted photography! Serious suppressing the envy now!!