Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh my....causing controversy already! You must be taking lessons from Dac and Bee! ;)

Keep your head up...there's always gonna be people that think you aren't what you should be but who are they to judge?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey, just so you know. I want a "truck" just like you. When diesel was though the roof I almost bought one for a steal. I am sorry if there are some here who like to sling mud. I myself am here for sharing info and ideas. This has no relation to how much money my husband makes.

Do you want to share what you published?? I knew you had a way with words. ;)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
The reason I dragged it out on the forum was to let other people on this ss forum give their opinion. The subject matter of the email, my truck. It's funny, I came here for the same reason Gina. At first I thought it was all serous, and wondered what other folks here on ss forum would think. When people started posting, the general opinion was ( so who cares what you drive, it has nothing to do with being SS )

That poster, that emailed me from their hotmail account, reminds me of a political street preacher. So now that I have attached a name to my email buddy, I am sure that will go over well... ROFLMBO...

See, my point is, if your gonna climb up on a soapbox and preach to people telling them how righteous you are, you better have your facts together. Otherwise your just making yourself look foolish.

Even in R/L I can't stand people that think their better than you based on some sort of stereo type by the way you dress or whatever. I like to keep things pretty real with a lot of humor to pass around. Moving on now, far away from the email and its composer.

Gina, I made a video for my bestest buddy back in VA and posted it on you tube. As you might guess he is a jeepster, so we both like to rag on each other from time to time. My rig is the one with the big roof rack and all the off road stuff. However, keeping with my love of the mother earth, I do trend softly ( meaning) I don't make trails, I use trails that are already made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXtjhI2Wf4

Reasons unknown to me, why the video guy didn't run when I came through (2nd rig) is beyond me. He was covered from head to toe in mud!! LOL.... You can see the wall of mud heading his direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cYAHc95ms

Oh my....causing controversy already!
Me? :idunno Naw, just being me, well I suppose that's with itself is questionable. :thumbsup

Gina, also published in a different way, published as in magazines and hgtv. I mean look at my journal and how I hack at the grammer of English and don't forget the spelling errors. I am like a bull in a china shop when it comes to spelling. I tend to have a general attitude about my spelling and others. As long as I can get a point across, or you can understand what it is I am saying, and I can understand what your writing, it's all good. See you can tell my attitude about spelling and grammer was taught to me by goverment funded public schools. :plbb :lol:

Well, okay, I will share some with you. A company approached me last year and wanted to write a biography about me and my life and chosen profession. At first I was like "Why???? I'm nobody special" then I learned that it would be added to a book about American Master Craftsman and their trades. I guess one of those begining of the century books. Being in a almost dead trade, we Master Craftsmen/women, I could understand they were writing about us and how we live today. At first the wife was saying to me, sell it to them. As soon as I mentioned getting paid, they said they would move on to the next Master Craftsman to get a free story. I said " okay then, free is good " It's still being written as far as I know.

Here is an artical published about me.

http://copper.org/consumers/arts/2008/november/supplement.html#s1

I also was in several magazines last year, as well as another book called Kitchens by Professional Designers. I had built two hoods 2006/2007 where the designers won kitchen of the year. It brought out the fact that on both projects, I was the only repeat manufacturer of two award winning kitchens of the year, back to back.

LOL.... I created and sold as the above article mentioned (yen) a piece that went up for auction at a upscale auction house in New York a few years ago. It sold to the client for 3,214,533.69 yen, thats right baby, you read that one correct 3.2 million yen!!! :celebrate :gig That is a lot of yennies!!!!:th

So now that you dragged it out of me, thats all I am going to tell you. The rest are personal milestones that I make and hold close as most people do. I never saw a reason to brag myself up or get big headed, staying true to myself, family and friends is much more rewarding :cool: Like I said before, I will never be famous but that depends on who you ask, which goes for all of us doesn't it? :thumbsup

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Original post deleted by me, I let my better judgement down.

Here is an email sent by another member, so I must say thanks for your support!!!

Hello, Peddler (my apologies, I'm not sure I found your real name in your journal),

I saw your recent post and I apologise for whomever the fool was who emailed and criticized you. I have had my fair share of criticism from jealous fools on there, too. :)

Keep on keeping on!

My husband and I are obviously at the opposite end of the spectrum from you, as far as finances go I think. Your post about starting your own business with only $500 and bills~that's us right now!

The goal for us is to be able to live off the land and grow enough food to support ourselves and maybe sell at the farmers market. Living within our means. :)

I also wanted to say I LOVE YOUR HUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least I think it was a hummer I saw in the pics!

Chin up! Keep posting to your journal! I love it! It's like reading a chapter book!! I wish my journal flowed so well as yours.
Have a beautiful morning!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey there metal..( i dont know your first name either!) LOL
I have really enjoyed reading your journal. You definately have a gift for words. Every time I read a post..I am left hanging...wanting to learn more about your wonderfull life. It sure sounds like you have your " ducks in a row" As for Me and mine...well...our " ducks" are still wandering off into the woods! :lol: My life story would bore some, and terrify most..so I tend to keep it private! LOL
Im sorry about the way things have turned....I dont care what others drive, wear, eat...I am here to worry about me and mine. Selfish?? Maybe...but you cant change everyones mind..and if we were all alike, life would be boreing. We need colorfull people in our lives...difference is what makes the world go round.
Your friend Jim sounds like a great person. Congrats on finding such a careing friend and mentor.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Here I am on post sixty something and I haven't told you my name..... That's just rude isn't it?:(

Sorry.....:frow

My name is Jason, you can call me Jay.

I have made some good progress this week at being more ss. I have had to make a bigger garden because my food stores weren't enough to last through spring.

My Uncle is on his way down today to visit with us, before I pull two non-productive apple trees out, I want to be sure they can't be saved. I have done everything I could do to save them, but I fear they were not taken care of for so long and are now beyond saving.

I also am putting in a small orchard this year, apples, plums, almond, cherry and some butternut trees. I also am planting some hedge rows and some other trees for wind breaks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Peddler, Hey I watched the you tube videos. I completely understand the thrill of off roading. My vehicle of choice right now is a Yamaha Rhino. When we find mud, very rare in the desert. We really get dirty. No windshield and doors to keep us clean. :D

I loved those trails you were on. Such different terrain than I have. What a blast!!

I have a question about copper. You might be able to help. ;) I have a huge, like couple hundred piece collection of copper molds. Like for jellos, and that kind of stuff. Is it ok to bake in these molds? Someone once told me it was but the mold would suffer, tarnish etc.. I have many shapes and sizes and would love to bake in them. What do ou think? G

Whats a butternut?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Jay...just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on the controversy.
We are all taking this SS path in our own way, there is no right or wrong. No one here has the right to pass judgment as to whether some one else is SS enough to use the label. We come in all shapes and size and all degrees of SS. Every step towards SS-y should be applauded. :old

oh, and I enjoyed your journal :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, if you buy a potted herb at the grocery store and try to keep it alive for a week, you are on the ss journey. Gotta start somewhere! And we post certain things here, not everything we do.

For anyone who would criticize a vehicle....wouldn't that person be willing to take more money for their products or services if they found a "better" market? Wouldn't they use the increased income to make their life a little easier?

Why not criticize someone for owning a horse or a cat or a dog, which we can say is not ss? How about a wedding ring, that is not necessary to life?

I hope that the person who wrote the e-mail writes another one, apologizing. Sometimes we take out our frustrations on the wrong person. It is a sign of growth and maturity to apologize humbly. Let us know, Jay, if it happens. (Thanks for removing your post, too. Whew.)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Regarding the pics of your old farmstead--- it always makes me sad to see places like that abandoned. I often romanticize about what places like that used to be like "back in the day", how they operated, why they were abandoned. That one actually has a story to go with it.

Latest posts