Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
2dream said:
MP that looks so good. I sure wish I could get my DH to work as hard on the food stuff as you do.
:hugs

If I don't make efforts to feed myself and family, than we will just keep eating the garbage in the stores. When I began my plan 3 years ago, I wasn't sure if living as ss as possible was a goal I could meet. Today, even though my family/friends giggle at me, my DW is on board now, I like the progress I have made. Its a sense of pride and I know what we are putting into our bodies.

I also enjoy working through the problems as well as enjoying the fruits of my labor.

You know whats funny? When those people that point and laugh, but than tell you that the jam that you made and gave them was the best jam they ever ate... :idunno :p

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:p :lol: ;)

Here is a couple pictures of the quality meat I smoked earlier this week.

W/ flash on
P1011513.jpg

W/ flash off
P1011514.jpg

Taste ten times better than genoa salami by the giant lunch meat company w/ its fake smokey taste.

I wish you could taste it.... :drool

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, question. Can I use frozen ground meat to make these, or do I have to wait for another deer? And,--have you posted the recipe? Also, have you made pepperoni?

My smoker's coming!!! We went to Bass Pro Outdoor world--whatever its called in the states, and I was surprised to see all their mixes and stuff --not one was sulphite free.

Discouraging.

Recipes please..... :)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is amazing!

Party at.... HIS HOUSE! :lol:

I have you know, since reading your blog, I have a case of the "I wants".

I feel like a kid in a toy store.
"I want that.... oh I want that..... OH I WANT THAT TOO!" :ya

My hubby appreciates it, trust me

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:( sad to say that I did not make this quite all on my own, although I will say I made my own Blind Robbins last year using fish, salt and the smoker. Blind Robbins are a take off Kippers from Europe, the German style from back in the sailing days which they often stored dried, smoked, salted fish for eating later. I used Rainbow Trout I caught, they turned out to be very good. I will make those again this year, but instead of 5 pounds, I am going to make 10 pounds for the whole year.

I used this kit http://www.conyeagerspice.com/conyeager/defaultstore.html as a means of a starter base. I added other spices and cheeses to make it taste differently. IE: I used a dry bbq rub recipe, omitted the salt, and added cheddar cheese. It turned out very good.

Next time I am going to use a meatloaf approach to see how that taste. Last year, thinking along the lines of sage sausage, I made some with a breakfast sausage recipe, it was awful and hard to eat because of the taste.

Like jerky makers everywhere, I have my own homemade recipe and approach which produces the best jerky I ever tasted. Its in the spice and in the smoking process, much like my homemade bacon recipe.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
oooooooooooooooooo puppy breath!!! I love them, they are beautiful pups! Which one is Sarah? Have you picked her out yet or are you waiting to see the personalities of the pups as they get older?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Awww!!! How cute is that? I like the one with the three spots down it's back. It seems to have a good appetite. :clap

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
oooooooooooooooooo puppy breath!!! I love them, they are beautiful pups! Which one is Sarah? Have you picked her out yet or are you waiting to see the personalities of the pups as they get older?
I really have my heart set on a liver female, but as the breeder stated, it best to fit the dog to its intended purpose. I need a good working dog, with that comes rules for me as well, including working with the dog everyday. Like any good bird dog/hunting dog it also must be a part of the family. So Sarah can be part of the family as well as help me gather food.

In spring I tend to bud out and start my passions, and once hunting season comes to a close, I start to get the winter blues. In winter I double check the firewood pile a couple times a day. If just a 1/4 inch of snow falls, I am out plowing a already nearly spic/span driveway. I start cooking weird stuff and advise my clan to eat it because so many other folks are going without, borderline torture in some cases... :hide

DD adopted the chicken project, which I thought nobody would have any interest in, that was high jacked, and with a kind heart, I am teaching DD how to raise and keep the chickens. Now DD is the Chicken Whisperer and like any good daddy would do, I smile and am glad to help her with her new pets. :D

So having Sarah is a little bit of both worlds, while having a project for myself to work on all year long.

DW has seen my down times in the winter months, not a gun lover or hunter herself, a tree huger at the core. She is from a nation where almost no guns are allowed. However she likes game birds, inland and waterfowl the same to eat.

Bobby, my step dad gave me a box of pics, filled with past days of hunting and fishing, the same time have gave me the table.

TMI... dont read on...

I wondered why DW bought me a photo album some time ago. I have pics in boxes, two infact. Later I think during Easter after the death of her niece, she brought out her family photo albums which had been put away since she came over here, nothing more than books on a shelf until something bad happened and she shared many good times talking about photos and the people. So she was able to share many memories with us as she thumbed through her albums.

That got me thinking why she bought me that photo album? I have never had a family like hers, so the normal photo thing wouldn't fit, hence the reason I never had a photo album in the first place.

Growing up on the farm built my personal foundation, hunting was part of that. Somewhere she found a medium between my goal of being ss, to understanding what I feel is like comfort food. Along the way, there has been light struggles, but not ones that I wouldn't give in on. DW seemed to understand, and counts on me to make things happen.

I see in so many siggies here, how you have the best man in the world. You might do, but let me tell you I have the best woman in the world....

Getting the dog was not my idea, I fell into it, and I think its a good thing. She bought me a hunting jacket, mine was fine, she bought me a Barbour. So you see, were not only married, its a friendship in the making. :ya