Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Some day youll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And youll no longer burn
To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
Ive watched all your suffering
As the battles raged higher
And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

Theres so many different worlds
So many differents suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the suns gone to hell
And the moons riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But its written in the starlight
And every line on your palm
Were fools to make war
On our brothers in arms

Video Link here, the song and see video

i.gif

For all my brothers and sister who gave their lives so that we all could be free.

For my Uncle James, who fought the Vietnam War in the bottom of every bottle till his death.

Scotty, my squad leader, I miss you bro. May you be watching over me from heaven as you did for me on earth.

A thank you to all military families, and may we find peace without war.

Edit below here;

How is fighting for peace the way to have peace? Isn't fighting for peace like jumping off a 20 story building to get to the ground without a parachute?
Some will say that we must have war for peace or even freedom. People that are pro war will stand upon their soap box and give great speeches about how good war is.

I will say to them " if war is so good, why don't you go out there and get you some of that glorified battlefield? I got mine..... When you get back from your so called good war, tell me how good it really was!!! Don't worry just because you will be different, don't worry about all those images, sights and smells you will forever remember. I also want to warn you about your so called good war and what you will never find anyway. When you come home from that war of yours, you will never find that peace that you were fighting for in the first place. Why?? Because, even though time heals so many wounds, that part of you that seeks and needs that peace so bad, will be forever lost. "

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:thumbsup Love the cartoons!

And Memorial Day is something for US (meaning my family and I) to remember, not for our guys over the Gulf but for our long lost or forgotten soldiers of the Civil War, WWI/II, Korean War and Vietnam War as well as the Gulf War.

I can not think of a better tribute of Abraham Lincoln with the Gettysburg Address. I am hoping in four years I shall see the battlefield of Gettysburg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvA0J_2ZpIQ

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you! My grandpa was in WW2, my dad was in 'nam 2 tours, and my baby cousin has been to Iraq 2 times..and may be going back again this summer. So, i thank you and bless you and :hugs you. Please know that there are people that REALLY do appreciate what you have sacrificed for us to be free.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so now I have a question about cast iron pans. I bought a 12 inch last year for open fire cooking. I made the mistake of bringing it in the house. I have now washed it with soap, which the directions said not to do. what do you all think the best way for me to get it back in shape might be. I have seasoned it after I used it with oil/ heat but it's just not the same.
Season it in lard not veggie oil. If you have put it through the dishwasher already, nail it twice with lard. Once its sealed you can use olive oil to coat it, and put it away. This is the only way I know.

Padiopal

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The poem was wonderful. Bless you & all who serve & sacrifice. :thumbsup

Oh my goodness, thank you for letting us know where to find you. :)
I've missed your posts so much. I'm a reader as I have a very small amount of space around my mobile home. That doesn't stop me from reading the wonderful things you have to say, Peddler. Hope that is okay if I am just a reader. I'll be back again & again.
:hugs Padio

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
TanksHill said:
Ok so now I have a question about cast iron pans. I bought a 12 inch last year for open fire cooking. I made the mistake of bringing it in the house. I have now washed it with soap, which the directions said not to do. what do you all think the best way for me to get it back in shape might be. I have seasoned it after I used it with oil/ heat but it's just not the same.
Season it in lard not veggie oil. If you have put it through the dishwasher already, nail it twice with lard. Once its sealed you can use olive oil to coat it, and put it away. This is the only way I know.
No dishwasher but I did use veggie oil. I will pick up a tub o lard next time to the store. Thanks for the advice. :D

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I took only two of those pills, made me feel funny and out of touch. I have been taking some over the counter meds every four hours just to dull the pain.

I am a brusher, not always a flosser, but a brusher for sure. :D

The loss of a tooth is a big deal, it seems my recent bad breath is due to a blood clot in the socket. That is just nasty, and I can't stand the awful taste in my mouth. But its better than the pain from the tooth, I think. I am going back to see the dentist tomorrow, he called several times to follow up. But nobody was here, he did mention that he didn't want to put stitches in but needed me to do a follow up. I forgot, so DW was sure to find a time slot to visit him. :somad I know she loves me and did it to help me, I gotta keep saying that.... LOL...

A lot has been done in the garden since my last pics, the funky bean tree is now called Jacks Stalk. I also added another trellis made from Jute and tree limbs I trimmed out from a Maple tree.

The guineas/ginneys are getting big and taking shape, even making a lot of noise. I have started to imprint them with a ginny call when I bring food to them, even water. I took out their food and water this evening, yelled my ginny call and introduced their feed and water back to them 20 minutes later. When I called, necks stretched, they were looking for good eats. I don't expect them to act like chickens, but hope my imprint brings them home when I call them in.

The hens are doing great, I think my imprint has worked fine and seem to be kind and social. None of them run when I enter the coop, they look at me and ask wheres the treat?

Thanks padiopal, I am so happy that you can read about my next adventure. I was debating whether to stop my journal here or there. When I found out so many people read my journal here looking and trying my ideas in real life, I think I found a place where I can share my ideas and my short comings. As you see we are just people with real life problems looking for positive solutions to become SS as possible at the level that we can.

You are welcome to this board and please ask questions here, so many people have great ideas. I have learned alot on this board, some have less space than you, and still find a way to have a garden.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I know you probably already know this but I am gonna say it anyway. That bloodclot is a good thing. That is what will keep you from getting a very painful dry socket. So swish lightly with warm salt water a couple of times a day. But not to the point of removing that clot. Just a light swish.

Glad your birds are doing so good. And hows your taters. My basket is doing great.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I talk to my chickens in "chicken speak" whenever I bring them treats. They hear me mimicking the rooster's call for something tasty he's found and they come running! What kind of guineas do you have?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Well the visit went well, Mike said it will be tender for a couple months and the pain will be gone in a matter of a few weeks. Yes you are correct Wanda, thanks for the sound advice. With my mouth being so sore, my sleep patterns are off. I am sure the worst is behind me now, and soon things will get back to normal.

I did loose one basket altogether, and of course the others are coming back. I replanted the basket I did loose and they are already making their way up. I am happy to have the recent rain, as I planted three rows of beans and two rows of sweet corn. The rows are 110 feet each, so go figure, I will be a winter time bean soup eating fool. :celebrate

For all you pinto bean eaters out there, I will share with you a tasty way to eat them. I like to add 2 tablespoons of Hellmans mayo and a 1/4 of large onion. I often fix my beans with pork that I smoke myself, yummy good eats.

Because of the rain, I have been forced to slow down and take a break. No.... I am not happy about it at all, but every one needs a little down time. I go nuts sitting inside during the winter, so in the summer I love to use all that wonderful daylight till I can't see, unless theres a full moon.

Being that I have gotten everything done this year on my five year plan, I make these little list of things that need tending to. Like any farm, theres always something that needs attention. My most recent mission has been to dig out those well rooted burdock plants as well as remove the smaller ones. :rant

Lori, I got the standard Pearl breed which is what the mill has as a standard.

Speaking of which, I talked to John yesterday, owner of the mill. We were talking about our businesses, he says his sales for seed, stock and supplies are up more than 50% this year. He said he has sold a record number of chickens and guinea fowl this year since he took the mill over from his father.

I am off to get some chores done and take some pics to share. I found this beautiful flower up on the hill, I don't what it is and need some help to ID it. Hope your having a great week. :)