Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
Why in the world am I thinking about A Christmas Story movie right now? :lol: Its funny, and all good till some one gets hurt.
You'll shoot your eye out! That wasn't my first thought here, but you're right - it's appropos. I'm happy you're seeing a little bit of humor, not for your daughter, of course, but for the situation!

There's a little of the indian woman letting her baby touch the fire here - they only do it once. All involved learned a valuable lesson here.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
So very glad your daughter is home and you can hold her close. Once you are mroe rested, maybe your anger will subside.

Don't see this as a gun issue. See this as a parenting issue. In California, this event would be reported to Child Protective Services and the parents would be in a heap of trouble. Not saying I agree with that, but I do think these parents need a wakeup call. Do you have a concealed carry permit? Can you wear a holster? Might strap one on and go calmly talk to them about responsible parenting and how "just because we CAN, doesn't mean we SHOULD".

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Don't go down the "guns are bad" and all that road just yet
Oh... I guess you didn't know I live in western PA where we cling to our religion and our guns in the face of hard times, so said a politician last fall. ;)

I am by all means pro gun in the hands of the correct folks, not in the hands of children is my point, especially unsupervised. Some how I can't get my head around that anybody would allow a 8 y/o kid have such a weapon.

Sure, me, when I was a kid, but I would say I was aware of gun safety. I started hunting when I was 12 y/o and had been taught through the years prior to hunting, gun safety. My Mom was very strict when it came to gun safety, Bobby was just the same.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Take a couple days to calm down and think over what you want to do. My daughter was hurt at school and it was never reported. Three teachers failed her and she came home off the bus sick. She had a concussion. I was steaming angry. I waited a couple days and then called the principal. It was still a hot subject and I was still POed but, we were able to have a civil converstation at that point.

It isn't the kids fault, if he hasn't been taught better. It would be the parents fault. Even if he had been taught better he shouldn't have had free range to such a weapon at 8 years old.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that your DD is ok! What a scary thing to go thru, poor girl!

My son is 13 and has a couple of airsoft guns. He uses them at home for target practice and he does get together with a group of boys to play.
He always wears his safety goggles, usually a baseball hat and lonf pants....lately since it is got he wears short sleeved shirts but I can see by those photos that long sleeves are in orger and maybe even a mouth guard! (which you can get at any sporting good store for about $10)

Any parent who just hands over an airsoft gun without laying down a good set of rules is just tempting fate.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so glad you DD is okay. Those things can be dangerous without rules and common sense. My boys(12 & 15) have them, but they came with rules.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures jay, they really helped make your point. Yuck!! I also got shot with a BB gun when I was about 5. The BB sunk into my thumb. Which I was holding in front of my face because my brother was pointing his gun at me. I guess it could have been much worse.

I guess I have some thinking to do. Glad dd is doing better. :thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
Don't go down the "guns are bad" and all that road just yet
Oh... I guess you didn't know I live in western PA where we cling to our religion and our guns in the face of hard times, so said a politician last fall. ;)

I am by all means pro gun in the hands of the correct folks, not in the hands of children is my point, especially unsupervised. Some how I can't get my head around that anybody would allow a 8 y/o kid have such a weapon.

Sure, me, when I was a kid, but I would say I was aware of gun safety. I started hunting when I was 12 y/o and had been taught through the years prior to hunting, gun safety. My Mom was very strict when it came to gun safety, Bobby was just the same.
oh I didn't mean that literally....I meant the "anger we get into when something goes wrong" that all guns are bad and all that. I was PA also...I lived outside Scranton for 8 years.

I kinda just meant to let it go. You are so wound I am sure (like I KNOW I would be) that you just must have time to unwind and come down from that scary high!

A kids accident is a parents nightmare come true.

I am sure Bobby was taught correctly. Just sometimes things just happen. I am sure it wasn't intentional.

Do you know HOW it happened yet? That would make the conversations easier on how to prevent anything like this again.

When I got shot under the eye, we were running after each other, just doing stupid stuff, not thinking and playing, and boom. So for us kids, we got the "now you know how dangerous it can be if you don't abide by the rules, don't point to the face, never "play" with a BB gun and all that" and we knew what it meant truly after that.

just rambling..LOL

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm glad your DD is going to be OK. What a tough way to learn a lesson. Thank God it wasn't any worse.