Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
We decided to head into the big city yesterday, so we headed to the Strip District in Pittsburgh.

The Stripe District is made up of old world markets, everything from clothes to hand made food from every culture in the world. Indian spice shops, Mexican food and clothing, Asian food and supplies, and then there is my favorite shop in the world, the Italian/cheese shop.

Salted dried fish hanging from the rafters, serous... thousands of different cheeses, blocks of fetta the size of shoe boxes, weird shaped 6-7 pounds of fresh unsalted butter, 20-30 5 gal buckets filled with all sorts of olives and pickled veggies. Old world smoked and dried meats, salami of a dozen different types.

After purchasing 3 pounds of Double Gloucester, 2 pounds of fresh made fetta, 2 pounds of 5 County Cheddar, we headed to the bread shop where we purchased several loafs of different breads. We than headed to the Asian market where I picked up some Kimchi and Gogi Gui (korean bbq) sauce.

I would love to share some pics but I didn't take a camera yesterday, I will when we go back to the big city.

If your ever around Pittsburgh, its well worth stopping in for the day shopping in the District. Everything is very cheap but of good quality. Always bring a cart or back pack to carry your stuff around.

The money we spent yesterday was the money we saved from not smoking anymore.

Speaking of smoking, I have turned into some kind of anti smoker that wants to tell everyone to stop smoking... I do keep my trap shut thou.....

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
That sounds fabulous! I sent you a pm.....oh, by the way, what is your favorite color/colors?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
:thumbsup

So I will put my order in for a hat and a double thick vest, make the vest in a hunter green, dark blue, and maybe add a tan colored line through the middle.
Oh, wait that was a quote on another thread, but the colors still remain. :frow

I was thinking Chad would have a hay day with it, why not?

Its all good eats any way, why not check out some better eats?

Glad yuns like it, and it what it is, good eats...

Have a hay day....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
The money we spent yesterday was the money we saved from not smoking anymore.

Speaking of smoking, I have turned into some kind of anti smoker that wants to tell everyone to stop smoking... I do keep my trap shut thou.....
:clap

And... :duc

:lol:

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much better I feel FM since I stopped smoking.....

I harvested a turkey this morning... :weee :celebrate

I was getting worried that I wouldn't harvest a fall turkey, but late yesterday evening I saw some toms roosting near some hickory trees on my property, which is where I set my blind up.

Just after sun rise I harvested a large tom turkey, and I cleaned it, and did it stink... :sick

I was just wondering about how much it weighed, dressed out and cleaned, almost 11 pounds.... Nice wild turkey....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am happy to hear you non smoking is going well.

Why would a wild turkey smell?

modern_pioneer wrote:

"So I will put my order in for a hat and a double thick vest, make the vest in a hunter green, dark blue, and maybe add a tan colored line through the middle"

I am still working on this whole clothing idea. I tried to do bootie socks while camping this past weekend. Ummm Let's just say I need to work on it a bit. :hu

Have a great day!!

gina

River Runner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was in the strip district of Pittsburgh a few years ago, man what a site. I am a country boy from the east coast of Canada, never had been in a big city that much, and then this place.....Loved it, anything and everything you could want was there. What a place. Great people, I really enjoyed it while I was there.

And congrats on the quitting smoking, 2001 for me, and have never felt better.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow your fun Pitts. trip sounds heavenly! i'm a sucker for italian cheese and salamis... i can just smell the cheesy-goodness!

enjoy that turkey! we saw about 30 wild ones along our back road to town.. what a sight.

but then we got home and saw our dozen BR's hanging behind our fence and they made us happy too!

happy TDay! and congrats on the new non-smoking!
:)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
What was really the draw of the strip was the market itself. Like RR said everything from everywhere, but I had never been there or off the farm as a child. So it was interesting to me and DW to seek new culture. I picked up some items that reminded me of just plain ole comfort food like blind robbins, weird 3 pound butter glob, salted fish, and lots of cheese... LOL.... not my camera, did ask the right to use it.....

Pittsburgh-3.jpg

Sure, having a break was nice, I loved the district but I don't miss the buildings or city life.

As the cooker in my clan, gather too, planter, take care ofer, hunter, fisher, harvester, put upper, I will cook the meal tomorrow...

I have been reminded that we, (Americans) are the only folks on earth to have a Thanksgiving. The rest of the world just keeps on, thats fine with me....

I never minded cooking, I like to do it because I can, sitting fat bellied, no I won't be watching the lions, I will cook the meal thinking of my family. I like the attention of a good meal that goes right..... :weee

So how does a man plan to cook on turkey day?

I'll share some photos later....

"G" happy turkey day to you too....

Its all in the guts, harvesting your own meat sometimes means you gotta understand the smells of things. Raking out the innards after pulling feathers, and the stink of the gases from the belly.... :sick

Happy turkey day folks...

Latest posts