Jellies, Jams and Conserves, Oh My!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder if that is the case, that maby the pectin isn't as strong as it used to be? Most newer recipes seem to call for 2 packs

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I only use the powdered stuff and the low or no sugar type. I just can't bring myself to put more sugar than fruit in my jams and jellies. I do however use the liquid Certo for my pepper jelly because the finished product actually looks better.

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm wondering...Did you double up your recipe because this often causes the pectin not to set or has your pectin expired? Does pectin expire, I don't know if it does or not. Well anyway, just a couple of thoughts. I had muscadine jelly not set up because of one of these reasons and I use low-sugar pectin but if made great pancake syrup.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL -- that's fine! It's good to remind that there is another use for your "liquid jelly". Pancakes are good option.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made 4 pints of blackberry jelly today but it looks like it set up pretty good. If I have time tomorrow I'm going to make some elderberry syrup for flu season. Some kids at our high school have already tested positive for it.