Jellies, Jams and Conserves, Oh My!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I made 4 jars of jalapeno jelly. It's pretty but not sure how well it will set up. I tweaked it from a couple of recipes along with my own preferences. It taste amazing, not too hot but with a little zing and I use cranberry juice giving it a rosy glow with flecks of pepper. If I can get the recipe perfected I may try selling a few jars at the local Trade Days.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I finished up my afternoon making apple pie preserves. This will give my husband the apple pie fix he needs when I won't bake. There was about 1/2 cup that we sampled on toast after supper. Everyone decided I need to buy some more apples.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apple pie preserves? That sounds like the most amazing thing I've ever heard of! I really really like Apple pie :drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finished up my afternoon making apple pie preserves. This will give my husband the apple pie fix he needs when I won't bake. There was about 1/2 cup that we sampled on toast after supper. Everyone decided I need to buy some more apples.
No need to buy more apples!

Zucchini Cobbler

It is best to use the really big zucchini, ya' know-the baseball bat sized ones. The crust mix made too much, so I put the extra in a zip loc bag and froze it for the next one. I also tweaked the recipe a little bit. I added twice the amount of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ginger and a dash of cloves. It made it even more yummy! Ya'll enjoy!

Zucchini Cobbler
FILLING
8 cups Zuc. peeled and seeded use large
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix and cook until tender and set aside to cool

CRUST
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup butter or oleo
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top

Mix crust till crumbly and pat 1/2 of crust into an oblong baking dish.
Bake that crust for 10 minutes at 375*
Place filling on baked crust and then put other 1/2 of crust mix over filling.
Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar over top.
Bake at 375* for 30 minutes.

Don't tell them it is zucchini and they will think it is apple....

I even prepared the zucchini and canned it in quart jars for the winter.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm... Zucchini is overwhelmingly abundant and apples cost a fortune..It's a no brainer! I'll be trying this for sure

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A friend and I actually made a pie from zucchini when we had a group of friends for a meal. Everyone was talking about how good the pie was but what were the seeds (lol). One friend said that she usually didn't like apple pie but that was the best she ever ate. Next time I made it for my family I left the seeds out. I've heard that green tomatoes make a good pie also. I have some big yellow squash I might just have to experiment with. I'm not sure if you could make the preserves using squash/zucchini. Has anyone done this?

Edited: Baymule do you can it boiling water bath with a tbsp. of vinegar? My MIL always canned squash and okra this way. I've heard it is good for green tomatoes too.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baymule this is a good tip for one of the frugal posts.

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i think just saying 'rose petal jelly' is worth trying to make it. i mean, really. how often can you offer your friends an english muffin with 'rose petal jelly'? it's gotta make them feel a little bit like cleopatra, right? and that color. it knocks me out.
thanks for the recipe... and for the smile ;)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone made onion preserves? I'm wondering what that would taste like. I know my jalapeno jelly is really good on all kinds of meats and cheeses. I have even put it in my turkey and ham salad sandwiches.