Jellies, Jams and Conserves, Oh My!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is the recipe I found for Rose Petal Jelly (Martha Stewart Living- yes, The Woman Who Does Everything More Beautifully Than You!). It differs from my old recipe only in the addition of rose water, which I suspect just kicks the rose flavor up a notch.

Ingredients
2 cups water
3 cups unsprayed pink rose petals (remove the bitter point at the base of the petals)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 ounces liquid pectin (might need a second package)
1 tablespoon rose water

Directions
Bring the water to a boil, then remove from heat. Add petals, cover, and steep for 30 minutes. Strain liquid into clean saucepan and discard petals.
Add sugar and lemon juice to pan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring, over medium high heat. Boil 2 minutes; add pectin, and boil 2 minutes (for firmer jelly, boil up to 2 minutes more). Remove from heat, add rose water. Pour into sterilized jars, let cool completely. Store in refrigerator up to 6 months.

My old recipe had these directions for longer pantry storage:
Remove from heat and ladle jelly into sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Add sterilized lids and rings. Process in water bath for 5 minutes at sea level to 1000 feet elevation (add 5 minutes if you are between 1,001-3000 feet, add 10 minutes if you are at 3,001-6000 feet, add 15 minutes for anything over that)
rosepetaljelly.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used one pack of gelatin and it's still pretty liquid. I'll wait out the 2 weeks and see if it sets up and let y'all know

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:fl wishing best of luck!

Just curious do you use the liquid pectin or the powdered?.?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used liquid pectin, and today L decided we needed to add another package. So we added more pectin, more sugar, and reprocessed. I did the spoonful-on-a-plate test and I think it will turn out great this time. We did the same to the plumeria jelly we made the same day, using the same recipe.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woot!!

I found a watermelon jelly recipe that I'm gonna try to make again soon, the first batch was very syrupy :'(

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope it works this time. It seems to me like the pectin isn't as strong as it used to be or something- I invariably need at least 2 packages. L tried to make grape jelly using Welch's unsweetened grape juice and she finally gave up 4 packages later, with so much sugar added that it tasted kinda like a grape candy lollipop.