Jelly for nutrition?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We wont need that survival for this year....You are going to be ok, lol. Next year we will all get you up and running as far as canning just the fruit goes :D
I can easily eat a half a jar of peach or apricot jam. I guess I could let a half a jar of jelly slither down my throat. If that is all you have then you could always trade with someone who has canned fruit but no jelly, LOL.

That is right, scurvy.......bring on the oranges

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Isn't vitamin C mostly destroyed by heat in making jam? I know it simply isn't stable enought to survive in in canned food for long. I remember reading about people trapped in Artic ice getting scurvy even though they had lots of canned food- the vitamin C disappears no matter what.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know there are so many things ou can use the jam/jelly for I figure it won't go to waste. Many baking recipies, I add it to my hommade yogurt, I us appricot/ peach in the crock pot with my pork roast. oh how about that meatball recipe with chili sauce abnd grape jam?. It's all about using what you have right? I had a gazillion appricots this year. Guess what everyones gietting for Christmas??:D

No scurvy here!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I was wondering. That food lable said NO vitamin C... like AT ALL...

Which begs the question, how do you preserve vitamin C in foods if you can't cook it at all.

Frozen orange juice?

What about dehydrated stuff? Is there enough heat in that process to destroy the vitamin C?

I have dehydrated beans with just a box fan--no heat at all. If you have the space and patience, seems like you could dehydrate other stuff this way, especially if very thin. Would dehydrated strawberries still have any vitamin C?

Interesting stuff here.

Cassandra

P.S. Can you tell I'm having a slow day at work? I got all my invoices and reminder letters sent out. Got everything mailed and put away. Almost threw down with a guy over his security deposit yesterday. Not much going on today. Mr. C is doing great, but still at home, btw. Thanks for all your prayers. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pickles are a good one

Pickles played an important role in Colombuss discovery of America in 1492. Around the time of Colombus, many transoceanic voyages were thwarted because crews suffered from scurvy, a disease caused by lack of vitamin C. Colombuss ship stocker, a man named Amerigo Vespucci, stored ample quantities of vitamin C-rich pickles on the Nia, Pinta, and Santa Maria, helping to prevent scurvy outbreaks on the historic voyage across the Atlantic. As it turns out, Americas name is derived from the pickle merchant Vespucci, who became an explorer.

more to come! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is more important than one would think

History of Jam

Making jam has a very long history. The earliest cookbook, called Of Culinary Matters, which dates back to 1st century Rome, contained recipes for making jam. It was part of the diet in the countries of the Middle East where there was an abundance of sugar that grew naturally. Honey was also used as a sweetener. This enabled the people to have vitamins from fruit all year round. Crusaders returning to Britain brought the jams and recipes back with them. The Spanish brought the tradition to the West Indies with them where fruit was in abundance and so they used the method of making jam to preserve the fruit.

Marmalade came into existence in the 16th century when Mary Queen of Scots physician mixed orange and sugar to help with her seasickness. Thus, marmalade became a favorite of royalty. Louis X1V of France had a variety of jams at his feasts made from fruits from the palace gardens, which include pineapples and other exotic fruits.

Although the immigrants to the US brought their own recipes with them, the first book on making jam appeared in this country in the 17th century. Early settlers in New England used other ways of making jam, using molasses, honey and maple sugar to give it the sweet taste. They used pectin obtained from boiling apple peel to use as the thickening agent.

Once it became known that Vitamin C prevented scurvy, jam became part of the staple used on ships. Fresh fruit did not last long, but the jam lasted for the length of the trip providing the sailors with the vitamins they needed to stay well.

Plus it tastes good..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glad Mr. C is doing well
that is always a goo thing when someone is out of immediate danger

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
jelly/jam is nutritional
as is dried fruits

remember back to older times. preserve what is needed to SURVIVE...not just taste, convenience, etc.