Jelly for nutrition?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I know that technically, Jelly is stored fruit. But nutritionwise, I mean... considering the possibility that you could eat half a cup of blackberry jelly (or would try really hard if you were trying to stave off vitamin deficiency health issues)... would it do you any good? Is there enough nutrition in there for it to even be considered food?
Jelly isn't so much "stored fruit" as it is "stored sugar, with some fruit you've boiled the heck out of".

It is a good source of empty calories, which if you are in need of a quick pick-me-up is not so bad, and can enable you to make tasty beverages and desserts with otherwise not much in the way of ingredients.

There is a little bit of vit C and other vitamins in there, but not NEAR as much as in fresh (or even most canned) fruit and you would have to eat a lot of sugar on the way to getting those vitamins ;) (If you are regarding jelly as a vit C source you'd probably be best sticking to very lightly-cooked currant jellies/jams)

So, I don't think it makes a lot of reality-based sense to regard jellies and jams as an investment in nutrition. However they have other virtues and I for one am gonna keep on making them :)

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Potatoes (like regular white potatoes) have a decent amount of vit C as well. Pretty much any of the stored root vegetables are pretty good for you, although nutrient content typically decreases somewhat as storage lengthens.

Cassandra, I will betcha dollars to donuts that the reason the food label listed 0% of USRDA for vit C is that the SERVING SIZE is small, so the absolute amount PER TABLESPOON fell below their threshold for what can be reported as nonzero. (Also commercial jams/jellies often have a lot more sugar and pectin, and a lot less fruit, than our homemade stuff).

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
homemade stuff is better of course
and if the diff. between "no fruit or disease" I am sure that little bit makes a diff the body big time!! If we have almost no other source of vit c and more, than this is an important staple!

dried fruit is very important of course.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have got everyone thinking cassandra. I think the dried stuff is probably a good thing. Root vegies too. I think carrots have some vit c, and as was aid sweet potatoes. :)

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a friend who is stocking for harder times. She stocks bottles of lemon juice for their source of vitamin C.

Inchy

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
inchworm said:
I have a friend who is stocking for harder times. She stocks bottles of lemon juice for their source of vitamin C.

Inchy
Clever! :)

Cassandra

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Finally found some information on vitamins and canned foods- not exactly the info I wanted but close- from Reader's Digest Asia'a largest subscription magazine- who'd a thunk...........

"The canning process has virtually no effect on protein, carbohydrates, fats, or the vitamins A, D and riboflavin that the food may contain. But, the high temperatures involved in the process tend to destroy thiamin (vitamin B1) and vitamin C in vegetables and savoury foods. Tinned fruit and fruit juices, however, retain most of their vitamins. The extent of the vitamin loss largely depends upon the acidity of the product; most acid foods retain their Vitamin C well...."

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We stock Tang mix and we can tomatoes, and between those two we wouldn't get scurvy I hope :p My canned jam is there for when I have sweet tooth . I've also tested it as a sweetener for my tea in place of sugar. It's has peach floaters , but it makes good tea , lol.

Ever watch Bear Grilles or survivor man ? One of them , I think Bear is showed steeping pine needles for tea in several episodes ,which are supposed to be high in Vitamin C so this could be a back up plan , I'm thinking.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow sweetcorn
that is great to know.
I love SurvivorMan show! :)
He eats some wild things...but Lee sure could survive out there! Nature provides Vit C--I guess we have to know where to find it! COOL

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
annmarie said:
I found this information online:

Sorry, not the news you were hoping for!
Not at all, annmarie! I was not expecting my store of Jelly to get us through a global crisis, by any means. :D

The article I read just got me thinking is all. Here it is if you are interested.

http://sharonastyk.com/category/food-storage-quickie/

While reading it, it just made me look at what I am doing with new eyes, you know? I never really thought about it. The purpose of preserving food is not just to avoid wasting food... not just having it there in case you need it. It's supposed to nourish your body during times when fresh food is not available. That somehow seems more epic.

Cassandra
I love Sharon's blog! She sure makes one think a bit differently about life!