Jen-pi's Journal

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Pepper jelly with cream cheese on crackers is wonderous.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:welcome Too funny about your son sneaking up on you! Look forward to hearing more adventures!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HAHA Awesome!

I would be too chicken to go into a corn field in the daylight, much less at night!! guess it comes from growing up with "Children of the Corn" :p

I do want to try corn cob jelly though, so I look forward to your pics!

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry about not having the pictures yet. I had an interesting weekend!
First of all, it snowed. It was our first snow, but it just doesnt "do it" for me like it used to.
Then, my husband and son were out putting up some snow fence in the yard when they spotted this dog walking down our road! He was a beautiful English Setter. He had a collar and tags and was SUPER skinny. My husband called him and he came right over. He was very friendly. We called the vet that the tags were from, but of couse the answering service answered and they were closed for the weekend. The answering service suggested we take him to the humane society shelter. Well, the closest one is about 15 miles away, so we decided to keep him with us until we could get ahold of the vet.
Now, remember that I have two Beagles. One male and one female (brother and sister, one year apart). Their names are Higgens and Holly. We adorted them from the shelter about a year and a half ago.
Holly, I think, is a little "slow" or something and Higgens has took it upon himself to protect his little sister (like a big brother should). He always has looked out for her, it's amazing to watch.
The English Setter was AT LEAST two times the size of them, and Holly was scared to death of him. So, Higgens kept in between them and kept barking Holly away from him. The Setter was a very young dog and I think had Higgens confused for a female, because, well, lets just say that it got a little "R" rated at times.
So, the weekend was spent keeping poor Higgens away from the Setter.
This morning we called the vet and got the name and number of the owner and called him. He was thankful and said he has been missing since Saturday at around noon and that he would be over this morning to pick him up.
So, this is my problem...the dog was skin and bones! his hip bones were sticking out, I could feel the vertebrae on his back and see his ribs. It did look like his nails were trimmed and his tail had been trimmed. Does anyone know how long it takes for a dog to get this skinny? The owner said he was only missing since Saturday, and thats when we found him. I just didnt feel right about it, but I dont know. I was hoping he would say he had been missing for a week. That would be a good reason why he was so skinny. :hu

Jelly pictures tonight...I promise! :D

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2503_dsc00967.jpg

Corn cob jelly!

2503_dsc00963.jpg

Chicken coop from inside the barn

2503_dsc00962.jpg

Chicken coop from looking through the open nesting boxes

2503_dsc00964.jpg

Chicken coop looking to the left through the "people door"

2503_dsc00965.jpg

Looking to the right through the "people door"

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Jen, nice to meet you :>) :welcome

I wouldn't stress to much about the skinny setter, they can be extremely skinny until they are about 3 or 4 years old. If the nails are trimmed and he looks groomed, I'd say his owner is taking care of him.
We have always had boxers and they are a lot the same, very skinny dogs until after maturity.

Mmmm that jelly looks good! Love the story about the corn haha!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!! I love the corn story. I was laughing so hard. My dh would have strangled my son. ;)

I did a couple batches of jalapeno jam this year. I basically made nectarine and add a bunch of peppers. Turned out fab!!!

So for the corn cob jam is it corn? Or the flavor of cooked cobs? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!!!

g