Jess172 journal: I want to do it all!

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today was hot! It's going to be in the 90's and humid all week. Hello Kentucky summers. I found lots of wild blackberry bushes today though. It was by accident. I was riding the property line on the four wheeler and just happen to notice a blackberry bush. I rode all along trying to find more and I did! I haven't had wild blackberries in a long time but this seems to be a good year for them. Maybe once they ripen I can make some jam. IF I can keep the kids out of them. We shall see.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There used to be a whole patch of them growing down the street from me when I was a kid, so I always picked them. Then the owner of the property got rid of them. I was not happy.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wild blackberries have so much more flavor than those big monsters they sell in the store...

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Agreed! My veggies from the garden also taste better than what the sell at the store.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Especially if you eat them as soon as you pick them.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried my hand at canning today:
image.jpg

I ended up making 7 pints and 5 quarts of dill pickles. I'm trying out different recipes to see what we like best. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I believe all of my tops have popped. Tomorrow I'm planning on making bread and butter pickles and some sweet pickles too. Hope it goes as well as today did.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Looks good! You need to put that pic in the POW section.