job description for farmgirls/homesteaders?

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been out of the "official" workforce since 2009. I cared for my father who had Alzheimer's disease, plus I got married and became a stay-at-home wife and daughter. Prior to that, my job experience includes 18 years of owning my own business in a clinical field, and prior to that, 10+ years or so bookkeeping, banking, secretarial, & office managment. After closing my business, and moving back to my hometown in 2006 because of my parents' needs, I took off a couple of years to work on the house and land, but eventually went to work for the state in a very high stress, on-call 24/7 job. When Daddy needed more care, I had to make a decision whether to remain in the state job or take care of my family. Family won. Mostly I have been happy at home...we have 3.75 acres of the original family homestead. We don't have livestock, but we grow and preserve most of our own food. My house is a 100-year-old farmhouse that we are restoring/renovating, and doing the work ourselves. We have a non-commercial pecan grove, that is producing again, after recovering from recent hurricanes. We have harvested and sold some pecans and hope to do more in the future, but it is pocket change. Mostly we harvest the pecans for personal use. Plenty of labor, skills, and hard work around here. My father passed away a year ago, and my mother is in good health, physically and mentally. At 91, she needs some assistance, but is quite independent.

The reason for all the background is because I'm updating my resume for a job I just found out about that requires skills, talents, experience, abilities that I have gained through life experience (volunteer work, hobbies, and homestead), but have never utilized in an official job. I didn't really plan on going back to work, but this opportunity is with a highly respected local entity that I have always been interested in. It is mostly outdoor work, in all kinds of weather. I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

For example, I know the job will involve working outdoors regardless of the weather. Cold, rain, heat, mosquitoes, etc. Well, as you know, farm work doesn't wait for the sun to shine. There is always something that just has to be done. I have canoed and camped in 24 degree weather (rarely gets a lot lower than that here, except for brief periods), and heavy rain. I have not been officially employed in over 3 years, and none of my employment included physical outdoor work. I'm also a 5'2" 59 year old female applying for a job that probably includes mostly younger men. I'm probably as strong and capable as most of them, but to get an interview, I need to convey my abilities on the resume to even get my foot in the door...which happens to be practically across the street from my house! I wouldn't even have to buy a car because these folks use company trucks for all of their business.

So...how to explain 3+ years of non-employment during which I have been primary caregiver to terminally ill father, farm girl, homestead queen, chief cook & bottle washer, and house renovater?

Any suggestions?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read what you're saying, Jill, and I think 'What's the problem?' I'd definitely seriously consider you. Your background and your recent history (last three years) all make sense to me. But I suppose you're guessing that the personnel dept over there won't have my viewpoint. Boy, I wish I could help, but I'm a little puzzled...

I'm sure that with your work background and ability to write (which you've displayed a lot here) you can present a great rsum. And, at least where I live, it's become common to list hobbies, volunteer work experience, etc (because they're often seen as relevant). You can stress reliability along with experience.

I'd suppose in the interview that you need to relate that you completely grasp the nature and challenges of the work and you know you can do it and stick with it!

Maybe not much great advice from me... but a vote of confidence. Good luck.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks...It's just that I've been out of the employment arena for a while, applying for a job that I have no "employment" experience in, for a company that gets a LOT of resumes, and they won't talk to you face-to-face unless your resume is picked for an interview. I can't just walk in and talk to them. Most of my work experience will transfer to them (people skills, computer skills, etc), but the field work (has to do with waterways) is right up my alley and interests, but I've just got to condense it all into a short resume how the volunteer work (2 week stint working outdoors doing research) and hobbies (canoeing, hiking and camping, regardless of the weather), and lifestyle (homesteading) will translate into this job. I don't have to prove I can do the physical part in the resume, but I have to snag their attention and get the message across that I have the life experience to learn this job and physical capability to do it.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe I don't need to say this, but I'd avoid using the terms "homestead" or "homesteading" as I've found people today are often vague or dumbfounded by what this means. I'd just describe the skills, routines, and responsibilities involved that are associated with living the life.

I know a lot of people who live the way you or I do who would know what was meant by homesteading - but a lot of people describe the situation as "a place in the country", or "my hobby farm", or "our home place", or something else. And the term "homestead" would draw a blank with a whole lot of people who don't live in this style.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I should think that your time away from the work force would easily be explained by the fact that you were acting as the primary caregiver for your terminally ill father (so sorry for your loss :hugs).

Adding in the list of your other specific skills, couched in terms of "running a farm", should leave no employer in any doubt of your abilities!

I wouldn't over think it if I were you, just list everything in "job skill" terms with specific examples, and wow them :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree, put in there that you have been working all this time. I generally list myself as self employed if I am applying for work outside the home. I list my job duties and go from there. When I redid DH's resume to send to the company he currently works for, we listed our farm as his primary source of employment over the last 4 years, and that was definately no lie, all the labor we put into this place....he went back to work to get a vacation!! :lol: Farm work is serious business. It's work if there is profit and benefits, and there has been. Hourly wage or salary was even given a number according to what we saved from doing the work ourselves etc. etc. A lot of folks wouldn't consider putting that stuff on a resume, but it is valid work history, so why not!??! Just my opinion/experience ;) Hope you nail that job and show those young men how it's done!!! :woot

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive been out of the loop for a long time as well. But my dh had a professional resume done a couple years back. I think what you need to focus on is experience. Not time frames. Your resume will speak for itself.

Best of luck.

g

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First off it's important to assemble facts about the prospective employer. Research the company and even talk to people that do business with the company if possible. Then build your resume from there. Let them know how you will fit in. You can't change that you have not been in the "offical" workforce but you can emphasize your skills. Include things like career highlights, communication skills, education, leadership skills, employment objective with their company. ect. Concentrate on your strengths use words like I managed or I directed instead of I did this or I was responsible for that. You also need not mention why you left your other position if they want to know they will ask. Describe yourself as adaptable, capable, competent, dedicated, dependable, efficient, energetic, reliable, resourceful, responsible, well organized and qualified. You get the picture. Keep your resume no longer that 2 pages. Just focus on what you can do for them. Good Luck!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
All great replies...

I have a great resume, which stops 4 years ago when I left my job as an investigator for elder abuse/neglect/exploitation cases for the State of Texas. It was also a total career change from my years of self-employment/owning a business. The actual profession isn't what worked on my resume when I got the state job, but I focused on people skills, interview skills, marketing my business, developing clientele, running the business, such as advertising, accounting, etc....that's part of how I sold myself on the resume. Regardless of what I do next, the resume needs to be updated again to include the last job, anyway.

The new job I'm interested in is a complete career change from both of those prior professions. Talk about a change of pace! This is not an office job, although many of my old skills will be necessary for the job. What's new is the outdoor work. For an example, this isn't a forest ranger job, but think about how you would describe and apply your farm/homesteading skill set to apply towards the skills/abilities needed for a forest ranger job, and you get the picture. And condensed down to a few lines or a small paragraph!

I need to get across that I can handle the job physically and will be able to tolerate working on cold rainy days as well as hot humid days. I have been physically active all of my life, and have organized and lead canoe trips in all kinds of weather. I haven't been doing the farming/homesteading all that long, so I'm having to really think about how to word what I do around here that will translate to skills they need for the job in question. Understand that I use the word "farm" and "homestead" very loosely when talking informally to you all about our small place. We have no farm income, except for some pocket change from the pecan harvest. I just want to convey that I have the physical ability to handle the job, plus ability to tolerate (endure) the working conditions.

Jill

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you have a good book/booklet to advise you on how to make a really good resume, I'd consider it a very worth while challenge. Somewhere in here, I have an awesome one and its time for me to spend some time updating myself.
If you can figure a way to turn what would seem like 4 years 'off', into 4 productive and worth while years, which I'm sure you can, then you will have done better than any job application ever could. Thats what I like about a good resume. You can really sell yourself better with one of those than you ever could, by just answering the questions the employers put on their form.
The fact you have cared for your father, onto death speaks volumns. It shows a maturity that someone half your age couldn't possibly possess. From memory, it took me a few hours to put mine together and it will take another few hours to update it, because life has gone on and I've grown and, like you have improved.
You can sell this......go for it.