job description for farmgirls/homesteaders?

drycreek

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just go for it, list your experiences and list the time as caregiver. I was out of the public work force for 16 years wife and I taking care of both sets of parents. Hired on the first interview and listed the years as caregiver.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In todays job market there are lots of older women* with gaps in their employment history. Often it was only because they were stay-at-home mothers that needed more family income. Others were cut due to across the board cutbacks in service industries and have been working where ever they could find a job. If the outdoor work is a big part of the job you want be sure to point out that you have done it.
*dirty secrets that we were not even to think about let alone say. Avoid the young women looking for the one they flirt at work and party at night. Those that have found the one tend to become moms and nobody misses more time then moms. Older woman basically has finished her family, the youngest is in school and she is ready to work. Those are the ones we want. Duck! Hide! but it is the truth. ~gd

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Just come out and say it--explain the last 3 years as caregiver, and explain your physical abilities, either in the resume, in a cover letter or both. I look for part-time farm workers every season, and all I want to know is that they can work hard, work fast and don't mind getting dirty. I'd just want them to come out and say it.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
find a head hunter.

a lot of places hire ppl to find workers for them. its like a broker for you to help sell your ablities to a business. you dont have to pay the head hunter, the companies who use them do.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
find a head hunter.

a lot of places hire ppl to find workers for them. its like a broker for you to help sell your ablities to a business. you dont have to pay the head hunter, the companies who use them do.
Um, totally depends on your industry. My hubs is an IT contractor, and a portion of his monthly salary goes to the headhunter if he uses them to find a job--it's far better to find your own positions and keep all that money yourself. It's true that he never sees this money, that it is paid by the company he works for, but it reduces his bottom line compared to if he finds a job on his own--usually by 10-20% which is quite significant.