Joel Salatin...a messy discussion

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oooh, pigs!
I want to raise a meat pig next year, but it's still in the nebulous fantasy stage.
Pigs :pop

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ooh! Ooh! :frow :ya I've got a question! I've got a question! :frow

I know Joel grazes enough cows that the competition for food makes them really clean their plate, but how does one create this effect with only a few animals on an acre of land without creating ridiculously small strip paddocks?

Also, having some difficulty training sheep to temp electric paddocks, even with using 3 strands of polywire. They seemed largely unfazed by the charge due to their wool...any suggestions?

Okay...that was two questions...but I really, really need to know! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bee, I have your answer. Picture this. Me, skinny arms and all, slowly pacing up and down my field, swinging my custom-made European scythe and muttering rhythmically: I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow....... :gig

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i didn't mean any of you in particular were blindly following anyone. it was just an observation that questioning someone's practices and motives is not an inherently bad thing. in my line of work it pays to be cautious and questioning... that often carries over into my life. it's not an attempt to suggest anyone should do things a particular way or to drag someone's name through the mud. it's just my way of getting to the root of the matter.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just talked to someone here the other day...
http://www.ppcf.org/page.asp?id=113&name=Venetucci+Farm&link_id=109

..and they are big fans of Joel :D

They have the CUTEST chicken house hooked up to a little red tractor I see in the field all the time.

And even though I am on .165 acres instead of 165, I am trying to incorporate as many principles of his as possible. Work starts soon on the "quail tractor" that will be moved around the back yard.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Buster, thank you and Grady for clarifying that issue for us. I'm not blindly devoted to anyone or anything, but I sure do have a lot of respect for Joel Salatin and, if you see him, you can give him a pat on the back from me! :) I think the man is a genius! :thumbsup
Well, Bee, the only connection I have with Joel is Grady. I have never met the man.

But I have a huge admiration for him and what he has done for sustainable agriculture. And that is enough. I don't agree with everything he believes, says, or does, even when it comes to one or two of his choices for farming, but then, I don't agree with 100% of what anyone does or says. That doesn't mean I have to nit-pick the stuff I happen to disagree with.

Salatin doesn't owe me a thing. If he never writes another book or article or book or give another presentation or grant another interview in his life, it is enough. He still will have done more for sustainable agriculture than about 99% of the folks out there.

I just hope folks here haven't run Grady off with all the negative talk about Joel. That would be a real shame.

Me, I can pick his brain any time I want. Like I said, he's my beef farmer. :lol:

ETA
But I agree. Joel Salatin is a bonafide genius.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the question is... is what he's doing illegal?

Golf courses that are privately owned must admit blacks.

Is there not something in the equal rights ammendments to cover this?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Bee, I have your answer. Picture this. Me, skinny arms and all, slowly pacing up and down my field, swinging my custom-made European scythe and muttering rhythmically: I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow I am the cow....... :gig
That goodness I didn't have a mouthful ! It would have been all over the computer.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Buster said:
Mackay said:
So the question is... is what he's doing illegal?
No.

ETA: But EVERYTHING he wants to do is illegal. :lol:
:lol:

Excellent respsonse!!

My Goodness, why woudl his limiting how many females he brings on as an apprentice be illegal? (perhaps I missed something?)

Latest posts