John Deere 826 Snowblower

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So last winter was tough. Lots and lots and lots of snow and in the spring the snowpack ended up pushing our driveway over into our lawn because there was just nowhere else to plow (I paid a guy to plow) the snow to. Anyways, I bought a snowblower (JD 826, made in 1986) to help deal with some of that snowpack so the spring sun could free up our driveway a little earlier than waiting for the few feet of pack to melt

Anyways, I knew (know?) very little about small engines, but this thing obviously needed some TLC before the next (this) winter. I didn't have the time to learn what needed to be done, so I had a local guy do some work and it's done a good job so far, which is great since our plow guy's transmission died and I would have been up a creek. Anyways, the auger stopped spinning this past weekend and when I popped it open it was evident a belt needed replacement. However, then I noticed the pulley wheels weren't spinning well and it looks like the friction disc needs to be replaced too. Hahaha

It's like owning a damn car. Cost me $220 to buy it, then another $220 for a carb rebuild and some other things but now the pulleys, friction disc and a belt? Whew! I'm excited to learn how to do this work and already ordered the parts, but hot damn I was a little shocked at the $55 for the friction disc (metal plate with hard rubber on the outside)

Anyways, this is all to say that this isn't a complaint but rather a celebration for me to learn how to do small engine repair. Looking forward to learning something here and having a functioning blower again :)

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So last winter was tough. Lots and lots and lots of snow and in the spring the snowpack ended up pushing our driveway over into our lawn because there was just nowhere else to plow (I paid a guy to plow) the snow to. Anyways, I bought a snowblower (JD 826, made in 1986) to help deal with some of that snowpack so the spring sun could free up our driveway a little earlier than waiting for the few feet of pack to melt

Anyways, I knew (know?) very little about small engines, but this thing obviously needed some TLC before the next (this) winter. I didn't have the time to learn what needed to be done, so I had a local guy do some work and it's done a good job so far, which is great since our plow guy's transmission died and I would have been up a creek. Anyways, the auger stopped spinning this past weekend and when I popped it open it was evident a belt needed replacement. However, then I noticed the pulley wheels weren't spinning well and it looks like the friction disc needs to be replaced too. Hahaha

It's like owning a damn car. Cost me $220 to buy it, then another $220 for a carb rebuild and some other things but now the pulleys, friction disc and a belt? Whew! I'm excited to learn how to do this work and already ordered the parts, but hot damn I was a little shocked at the $55 for the friction disc (metal plate with hard rubber on the outside)

Anyways, this is all to say that this isn't a complaint but rather a celebration for me to learn how to do small engine repair. Looking forward to learning something here and having a functioning blower again :)
that sounds so expensive to me, I'd rather do the normal thing to do. I still have my handy dandy shovel, and it still works just fine..

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: Well, when you get several feet of snow, you need a lot more than a shovel for anything as large as a driveway.

Fortunately I have a tractor with a blade and a front end loader. also -- fortunately for me -- haven't had that much snow in years! :D

It's always a consideration when I look at equipment that's used....repairs and warranty.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Well, when you get several feet of snow, you need a lot more than a shovel for anything as large as a driveway.

Fortunately I have a tractor with a blade and a front end loader. also -- fortunately for me -- haven't had that much snow in years! :D

It's always a consideration when I look at equipment that's used....repairs and warranty.

The plan is to buy a truck with a plow, but we just don't have that money this year as we have to replace a porch that was rotted when we bought the house nearly two years ago

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We bought a small tractor this summer to replace the John Deere garden tractor that we have a snow blower on. The new tractor is 4-wheel drive and now has a 48" snow blower attached. It was bought specifically to replace the John Deere, which was just not big enough or powerful enough to handle the snows that we get and had a real problem with getting traction on the gravel driveway when snow blowing. As a bonus, I have a more powerful tractor for all the other chores around our place - turning compost piles, digging holes for tree planting, roto-tilling the garden...

It is always great to learn new skills. Congrats on fixing it yourself.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought a small tractor this summer to replace the John Deere garden tractor that we have a snow blower on. The new tractor is 4-wheel drive and now has a 48" snow blower attached. It was bought specifically to replace the John Deere, which was just not big enough or powerful enough to handle the snows that we get and had a real problem with getting traction on the gravel driveway when snow blowing. As a bonus, I have a more powerful tractor for all the other chores around our place - turning compost piles, digging holes for tree planting, roto-tilling the garden...

It is always great to learn new skills. Congrats on fixing it yourself.
What's the model number on it, if you don't mind?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Nothing runs (or not) like a Deere. I chronicled my Deere lawn tractor issues here a number of years ago. My condolences to your wallet

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We pay to have our driveway plowed. No way could we shovel, with the snows we get. Then, there are the paths, the deck, and the full flight of steps at back deck, half flight at front steps. We use the snow blower to clean the combing at both ends of the driveways, and around the mail box, as well as about 400' of paths. I even take the snowblower into the covered chicken run, and blow the snow out of there after most storms.

I would love to have a little 4WD tractor with snow blower, mower deck, and a bucket!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Oh yeah!! A tractor will surely do the trick for that. well... It doesn’t snow here. but dead plants are a real issue and its a daily task...

Latest posts