John Denver was wrong

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Just the other morning, I go out a little earlier to start the car so it can warm up before we leave for school.

I stepped in DOG POOP with my friggin slippers on. :rant :rant :rant :rant

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Tractor problems are no fun! My friend's tractor needs a new battery. She can't find one. Do you know how fun it is to roll round bales, especially if they've gotten a bit wet? And, forget about unloading them off of a trailer. She finally had to pay a neighbor to come down w/a tractor and put out hay for the horses, and unload the rest of the RBs.

And, where I work, I went to use the mower, and the blade assembly fell off as soon as I engaged the PTO!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Life on the farm is NOT kinda laid back.
The only kinda laid back we got going on here is when you're laid down on yer back from wiping out on duck poop on your patio. :p
Oh yeah, been there, done that! Usually while dressed for work.... and late heading out the door.
My most recent was tripping over the stump in the goat pen, bashing my knee on a boulder AND spilling the milk.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have some very sticky mud right now by the goat's gate because that is where the hay racks are filled on nice days...on the gate. I stepped out of my shoe yesterday.....ick! It got sucked right off!

I've told this one before, but it bears repeating for the newbies here. I got two goats, rescues, to keep my horse company when I moved her home to the suburbs...being used to rather nice boarding stables, the noises of this close suburban setting was a bit much for her.

Fencing was done a bit at a time as we had to clear land, and I had a snugly fenced paddock for nighttime, but a simple single strand of temporary electric fence that held my mare just fine when I was home to let her out to graze in the area that is now my pasture. The goats would go under the fence, but stayed very close to the horse. Mostly.

One day, a neighbor approached my fence to talk to me. Turns out that one of my goats, a large, older Saanen doe, nibbled her way across their yard and into their open back door. The teenaged boy was learning about fixing cars in the front with his dad, and it was hot so they'd left both the front and the back doors open for cross ventilation. The boy went in for a glass of water and found my goat exploring the kitchen!

How embarrassing.... :rolleyes: I never did ask if she'd taken anything...or if she'd left anything!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:lol: I'm sure, given the chance, either of my 2 goats would do the same! I know they got out once, the neighbor noticed them, and came and knocked on the door. Of course, when I went to answer it, I had 2 goats trying to get in!

Oh, and I've had my boots get sucked off b4. Last winter, I had one get sucked off in the snow! (I was wearing snowshoes, and one of the horses stepped on it when I went to feed. :/) I couldn't reach it and still hold onto the horse, so I finally had to put my foot down in the snow to get to my boot.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My mishap was, my male rabbit had a baby and my female did not. That led me to the conclusion Ive had it backwards for 6 months.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oopsy. Reminds me of the pet gerbils we had as young kids....two males. Before long, we had gerbils in cages, in aquariums, in five-gallon pails in the bathtub..... :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We went out of town and left the ducks on their own in our completely fenced back yard with plenty of food and water. When we came back, one was gone. There were no lose feathers, no blood, nothing. Just a missing duck. We asked the neighbors, we searched the area over and over, ran ads in craigslist, and checked the humane society. No Uno.

A week later hubby goes in to the back yard and sees another one of the ducks missing a head. I was gone and he was pretty grossed out, but he went to dispose on the body and found Uno, also missing a head, in an area we had checked several times before.

Apparently a hawk found our little flock, grabbed Uno and flew her up in to a tree. The body fell down after a week. Then the hawk decided to just take Bebe's head and not bother taking the rest. Hubby was really grossed out when I asked if Bebe was a fresh kill and if he butchered her. :p The answer was "Eww!!!". So he wasted the meat!

NOT very laid back there John Denver!!!

We now have a covered run. The hawk still comes back every once in a while to see if the snacks are wandering lose.