junk pole fence

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A fence made of waste wood (this wood is typically burned in an effort to reduce wildfires). It's a bit like making fence out bamboo, but in an area where these conifer poles are considered a nuisance. You can see the rock jacks (this particular property is one giant rock) - but ignore those for this video (we hope to have a rock jack video later). Pretend these are normal fence posts. This particular fence is being made 8 feet tall to keep deer out and to keep layers (egg laying breeds of chickens) in. This is a BB for part of the sand badge for woodland care in the PEP curriculum. You start by installing two horizontal poles along the top and bottom on the same side of your posts. Then you install four evenly spaced vertical spacers on the outside of the fence rails. Once you have your spacers up, you install one more horizontal pole across the middle on the outside of your spacers, and then you can just drop in loose poles to fill the rest of the fence up. Voila! Easy fence made reusing waste wood.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Europe, Hawthorn was used as living fences. They would weave the branches through as it grew. I've been told that some of those "hedgerows" are well over a hundred years old. They are so strong, that tanks were unable to break through during WWII

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like your fence. I've been eyeing a stand of bamboo near our church that is always overgrown. It would be great for a fence like that. Might be a project for next spring.
I had wondered why you wore such a long coat to build your fence. Itmade more sense at the end of the video! Welcome (back) to the group, Paul!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a fence like that not far from me, but instead of vertical, it's a horizontal weave. Both yours and his are It pretty cool and a good way to use saplings.

When I lived in North Carolina, I built a pole bean house out of saplings using the same kind of technique. My kids were younger then and it dubbed as a club house for them. It worked real well for pole beans to climb.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you sure don't want willows as a "lawn" tree, they sure can drop a lot of debris... i like them along the rivers where they belong or at the far edges of the property where nothing cares too much if they shed a few branches...

for a living hedge in a climate that gets some cold weather you can use apple seeds planted in the fall about an inch deep and four inches apart. when they get old enough you can have cider apples from them. they're pretty thorny and won't be easily gotten through after the 2nd or 3rd year. you can get plenty of seeds from saving your apple cores. you might find one of many trees so planted as not only edible but resistant to diseases or bugs. :) wish i could do this here... would have to remove cedar trees or honey suckle bushes to do it.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think Osage Orange is used for living fences. Planted 1 foot apart, it grows so dense it is "horse high, hog tight, and bull strong". Quoted from an article on Mother Earth News.