junk pole fence

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A fence made of waste wood (this wood is typically burned in an effort to reduce wildfires). It's a bit like making fence out bamboo, but in an area where these conifer poles are considered a nuisance. You can see the rock jacks (this particular property is one giant rock) - but ignore those for this video (we hope to have a rock jack video later). Pretend these are normal fence posts. This particular fence is being made 8 feet tall to keep deer out and to keep layers (egg laying breeds of chickens) in. This is a BB for part of the sand badge for woodland care in the PEP curriculum. You start by installing two horizontal poles along the top and bottom on the same side of your posts. Then you install four evenly spaced vertical spacers on the outside of the fence rails. Once you have your spacers up, you install one more horizontal pole across the middle on the outside of your spacers, and then you can just drop in loose poles to fill the rest of the fence up. Voila! Easy fence made reusing waste wood.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like your fence. I've been eyeing a stand of bamboo near our church that is always overgrown. It would be great for a fence like that. Might be a project for next spring.
I had wondered why you wore such a long coat to build your fence. Itmade more sense at the end of the video! Welcome (back) to the group, Paul!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a fence like that not far from me, but instead of vertical, it's a horizontal weave. Both yours and his are It pretty cool and a good way to use saplings.

When I lived in North Carolina, I built a pole bean house out of saplings using the same kind of technique. My kids were younger then and it dubbed as a club house for them. It worked real well for pole beans to climb.

Last edited:

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The junk pole fence design we have now is something like "version 7". "Version 1" was much like what is in your link. We discovered that our wood did not like that style. It wasn't so bendy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Latest posts