1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Solutions for a pecker - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Junk Raiders?

Discussion in 'Trash To Treasure - Joys Of Recycling' started by Joel_BC, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2012
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

You failed to mention that a couple of members of the team were major junk producers, in their real jobs they would gut out propery and replace it with what was hot and trendy. Condensed from Wikipedia: 2009 Canadian, Discovery and ION Life, 7 pros attempt to renovate old steel factory in downtown Toronto in 1 month, C$5500 budget. Since looking through other peoples Trash is illegal in Toronto, a waiver was issued to the show. One member,(Gordie) is also a freegan (recycles found food), Six episodes. I will not be a :spoiler and tell how it came out. See also Junk Raiders 2 & 3.

2. Oct 19, 2012
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC Super Self-Sufficient

:lol: Interesting point, ~gd.

That may be the case... But for me, what is absorbing and valuable about the show is how they make use of scavenged materials. (Sorry about my "failure" there, ~gd. My ignorance or oversight, I suppose.)

To be truthful, I'm more interested, in the team's ingenuity and resourcefulness. I leave their individual "sins" to their clergymen and their own consciences.

As applies to my own life, I don't have to be a producer of lots of junk in order to be an appreciater of existing, gleaned materials, components, etc. So I view the show as in-line with this principle: it's better to re-allocate the "value added" to industrially processed materials, when we can, than to just burn them, crush, them, melt them, or bury them.

3. Oct 20, 2012
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

I wasn't posting about their sins as much as the fact that they often have first shot at usefull recycleable materials. Plus the fact that if you have a home for them you are likely to spend a little more time while removing them to keep their usefullness. I have had 2 bathrooms redone (I hate that shiny crap) The first guy showed up the first day with just a sludge (sp) hammer, I sent him home without even letting him in. 2nd guy I met at Habitat He carefully removed the cabinets and fixtures for use in a new home they were building. He replaced the cabinets with real wood old style from the habitat warehouse The same with the fixtures the only one purchased new was a higher commode which I needed. They even had a claw footed tub that had sat there for years. I was glad to trade the porcelin on steel built in tub that still had the new stickers on it. This old guy showers most of the time but a deep tub with a seat is great to soak my feet and legs in. While he was at it he installed the countertop {Old growth Southern yellow pine) about 6 inches higher than standard. Standard is there for kids so they can use the sink. He replaced the space left in the walls by the built in tub with yellow pine from a old barn (I took a wire brush to it to remove the dead wood and sealed it for water protection It even had a few of the old hand forged Square nails that were also sealed to prevent more rust. The same boards were used to skirt the gap left by the cabinets being mounted higher. Total cost I extra days wages ~$200 150 for the new comode minus a note from Habitat thanking me for The full market value of the new countertop, sink and fixtures and cabinets. They were truly new I bought the place from a "flipper" that had overextended his credit at the wrong time. either deal with me or fight forclosure.
    My previous home was seized by the state for destruction to run a highway. I was mad and heartbroke both when they refused to allow Habitat to strip out anything that they could find usefull. Of course as soon as I moved out the place was stripped by vandals anyways. So I was not commenting on sins.

4. Oct 20, 2012
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC Super Self-Sufficient

Oh, okay... sorry about the misinterpretation.

Thanks for posting. There's one guy on the team who seems to re-use all the time - it's his life & business. Less so, maybe, with the others, as it's a hard career path to salvage and design and incorporate what you've salvaged.

On this season-3 series, there's also a mechanic on the team, and he rebuilds cars, so he is used to dealing with wrecking yards and other salvage sources. And there's a woman on the team who is a furniture designer and maker, and maybe she does a fair bit of re-use, ordinarily. In the previous series (1 & 2), the team got a lot of stuff from metal & wrecking years, plus some crubside freebies. In those cases, your dependent on how well or how poorly someone else did the dismantling and salvage chores.

Yeah, you and I value things similarly, ~gd.

That'd break my heart too... and make me mad.

5. Oct 21, 2012
    Happy to be Me

Happy to be Me Power Conserver

That sounds like a great show! I'm definitely going to look it up while we still have TV!

6. Jun 16, 2013
    Collector

Collector Enjoys Recycling

It sounds like it is my kind of show, I'm a dumpster diver from way back lol. Gonna look and see if I have the channel.