just a little curious

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I used to turn up my nose at cooking with bacon grease. But, during the summer season of BLTs we also make corn fritters with fresh corn, and they must be fried in bacon grease :) Since trying that the first time, I save grease on our infrequent bacon occasions.
I used chicken fat for my very first ever batch of zuchinni corn fritters and yum! But bacon fat....ooooo, heavenly! :drool

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
All I know is my grandma Nettie was the worlds BEST cook. Everything was just delicious! Her main ingredients ... salt, pepper, and bacon grease!

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
All I know is my grandma Nettie was the worlds BEST cook. Everything was just delicious! Her main ingredients ... salt, pepper, and bacon grease!
It should also be noted here that, in our fervor to rid ourselves of anything that even hints of animal fat, the old timers ate in moderation. They didn't eat much, and often very little, by our standards.

Plus they worked very hard. It is a full time job to feed oneself, the old fashioned way. They didn't have the agri-biz industrial complex we know. Im firmly convinced that they didnt invent the internet back then - because they didnt have time for such diversions.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I save bacon grease...I have never refridgerated it though, it just sits in a jar in the cupboard under the sink. I use it to give the dog extra warmth in the winter...pour a few tablespoons of it over her dogfood.

The best thing I use it for is pasta!
I make a pasta with peppers and whatever other vegies i want to throw in, mix in some bacon grease, and yummmy

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I save my bacon grease in a little tub, and dunk the dog's biscuits in it occasionally. My mom uses it for cornbread, but I use oil.

Old grease makes a very good weed killer. Just pour it in any place you don't want vegetation, like along the edge of the garden fence. It eventually biodegrades of course.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love wilted spinach salads. Fresh mushrooms, bacon and egg... Oh yummmmy!! I went to a fancy restaurant once where they brought a little cart table side and made it right there so the greens were just perfect. heaven!!!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I used to strain it and my ex (who was a machinist) would use it for lubrication on his Bridgeport when he was milling parts. It's excellent for that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Farmfresh said:
It should also be noted here that, in our fervor to rid ourselves of anything that even hints of animal fat, the old timers ate in moderation. They didn't eat much, and often very little, by our standards.

Plus they worked very hard. It is a full time job to feed oneself, the old fashioned way. They didn't have the agri-biz industrial complex we know. Im firmly convinced that they didnt invent the internet back then - because they didnt have time for such diversions.
I didn't see moderation when I watched my skinny retired-farmer pepere eat salt pork and eggs for breakfast, greasy headcheese and butter on his plogues (buckwheat pancakes) with lunch and supper, no trimming of fat off the meat and lots of frying going on in that kitchen! :lol: Never saw him work, either.

Of course, when you raise the pigs and eggs and memere makes the butter from the cream from the cows on pasture and the animals are fed pasture, hay, oats and potatoes grown in your own fields, the quality of the meat and fat and eggs and cream are so different from what we can buy in the stores today, they are completely different foods.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a recipe for making home made refried beans. And the recipe calls for lard or bacon grease. So I guess its a bit the same.