just a little curious

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I use bacon grease for cooking all the time. It's taken 10 years for SO to get used to it. I keep in a jar in the fridge and continously add to it.
When I was very young my mother didn't throw out anything that was possibly edible and I often had bacon grease sandwhiches. She used it instead of butter, since butter was too expensive. Only my father got to have butter on his bread. She only bought it, when he came home from the University where he was studying.

Beef fat has a different consistency and turns into tallow when rendered, this was used for making candles.

BTW, if you put a spoon in a glass jar, you can pour the hot grease into it immediately. The spoon absorbs the heat and prevents the jar from breaking. I do it all the time, I watched my mother and grandmother do it.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i am just loving all the old wisdom seeping out of everyones greasy pores

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're not greasy! We glisten :)

And I use the word WE very loosely considering I haven't posted that I too, keep bacon grease. I let it cool slightly, then pour it into an icetray & pop it in the freezer. Once they're frozen, I pop em out & put them into a freezer bag.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
how far away are you can my jar is empty and i need to collect some

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I use bacon grease for cooking all the time. It's taken 10 years for SO to get used to it. I keep in a jar in the fridge and continously add to it.
When I was very young my mother didn't throw out anything that was possibly edible and I often had bacon grease sandwhiches. She used it instead of butter, since butter was too expensive. Only my father got to have butter on his bread. She only bought it, when he came home from the University where he was studying.

Beef fat has a different consistency and turns into tallow when rendered, this was used for making candles.

BTW, if you put a spoon in a glass jar, you can pour the hot grease into it immediately. The spoon absorbs the heat and prevents the jar from breaking. I do it all the time, I watched my mother and grandmother do it.
Awesome....

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
davaroo said:
Farmfresh said:
All I know is my grandma Nettie was the worlds BEST cook. Everything was just delicious! Her main ingredients ... salt, pepper, and bacon grease!
It should also be noted here that, in our fervor to rid ourselves of anything that even hints of animal fat, the old timers ate in moderation. They didn't eat much, and often very little, by our standards.

Plus they worked very hard. It is a full time job to feed oneself, the old fashioned way. They didn't have the agri-biz industrial complex we know. Im firmly convinced that they didnt invent the internet back then - because they didnt have time for such diversions.
I didn't see moderation when I watched my skinny retired-farmer pepere eat salt pork and eggs for breakfast, greasy headcheese and butter on his plogues (buckwheat pancakes) with lunch and supper, no trimming of fat off the meat and lots of frying going on in that kitchen! :lol: Never saw him work, either.

Of course, when you raise the pigs and eggs and memere makes the butter from the cream from the cows on pasture and the animals are fed pasture, hay, oats and potatoes grown in your own fields, the quality of the meat and fat and eggs and cream are so different from what we can buy in the stores today, they are completely different foods.
Thats interesting; most of the oldsters I've known didn't eat much, claiming they weren't used to anything else. They eat what they want, mind you, but not too much of anything.
I asked my mom about it several times, and she allowed that it was that way for her people, too.

Of course, there are always those folks that pretty much do what they want, and defy the rest. Interesting.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
now i think the icetray trick is the best one so far and i will def use that one cause they are already measured

noobiechickenlady said:
We're not greasy! We glisten :)

And I use the word WE very loosely considering I haven't posted that I too, keep bacon grease. I let it cool slightly, then pour it into an icetray & pop it in the freezer. Once they're frozen, I pop em out & put them into a freezer bag.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
davaroo said:
freemotion said:
davaroo said:
It should also be noted here that, in our fervor to rid ourselves of anything that even hints of animal fat, the old timers ate in moderation. They didn't eat much, and often very little, by our standards.

Plus they worked very hard. It is a full time job to feed oneself, the old fashioned way. They didn't have the agri-biz industrial complex we know. Im firmly convinced that they didnt invent the internet back then - because they didnt have time for such diversions.
I didn't see moderation when I watched my skinny retired-farmer pepere eat salt pork and eggs for breakfast, greasy headcheese and butter on his plogues (buckwheat pancakes) with lunch and supper, no trimming of fat off the meat and lots of frying going on in that kitchen! :lol: Never saw him work, either.

Of course, when you raise the pigs and eggs and memere makes the butter from the cream from the cows on pasture and the animals are fed pasture, hay, oats and potatoes grown in your own fields, the quality of the meat and fat and eggs and cream are so different from what we can buy in the stores today, they are completely different foods.
Thats interesting; most of the oldsters I've known didn't eat much, claiming they weren't used to anything else. They eat what they want, mind you, but not too much of anything.
I asked my mom about it several times, and she allowed that it was that way for her people, too.

Of course, there are always those folks that pretty much do what they want, and defy the rest. Interesting.
In my family, the 'oldsters' ate whatever they had, no matter if it was healthy or not. They didn't eat too much of anything either, because there wasn't much to eat. Lard sandwhiches, soup that consisted of rotton potatoes, the like. Although a lot on here do everything the old fashioned way, so they know all about it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My grandparents (my dad's folks) were farmers and he remembers the outhouse and the workhorses! So we are talking ss folks here! Even after retiring, they kept a huge garden and ate good food. Later, of course, came the white flour and white sugar and Crisco, and my grandmother cooked lots of that stuff and was quite fat. My grandfather seemed to exist on the stuff already mentioned, and was thin.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My grandparents (my dad's folks) were farmers and he remembers the outhouse and the workhorses! So we are talking ss folks here! Even after retiring, they kept a huge garden and ate good food. Later, of course, came the white flour and white sugar and Crisco, and my grandmother cooked lots of that stuff and was quite fat. My grandfather seemed to exist on the stuff already mentioned, and was thin.
My dad's family (he was born '43, has 10 other siblings, most older than him) grew up very poor, and with all the kids no one got much to eat. They also grew a garden, poultry, hunted, had several dairy cows later in the 60's, but they relied solely on what they had on the property, so when wintertime came meals were very meager. My dad was under 100 pounds through most of his teen years, but as healthy as an underweight person could be at that age.

Now he only prefers storebought processed garbage which is what he's chosen to eat for several years, has quite the stomach and has failing health, mainly caused by eating habits; according to a doctor.