Just discovered a gap in my skills and competency!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well.
I recently rambled on BYC about this, but I figured the firearms aspect belonged here.
There are two Turkey vultures that are acting strangely and not at all how they should be acting. I strongly suspect this is the reason a hen just up and dissapears from time to time.
(although cross your fingers, no losses for over a month!)
Anyway, I heard Godzilla shouting a threat earlier, so I ran outside and these two stankers were RIGHT THERE, about 20 feet up in a dead tree, watching my chooks. Not cool, and not normal bird behavior.
I ran in and grabbed the shotgun, aimed carefully at Thing One, and fired. Despite the humiliatingly close range, I didn't so much as nick a feather. I did, however, sustain a few cuts and bruises because our shotgun is secretly a Mule and my arms are flabtastic.
I can almost feel my dad looking down on me and going "tsk tsk"
Ugh. He was a *gun man* and growing up, I was a *gun kid*. I think the proudest I ever saw him was when I was 10 or so and became a better shot with a handgun than he was :lol:

Unfortunately, just a moment ago is the first time I've shot a gun in quite a few years. I'm sure my stance was wrong, I *know* my grip was wrong because my thumb knuckle is bleeding, and I MISSED THE STINKIN' VULTURE.

So. My remedial education begins tomorrow. Fortunately J is an Iraq vet and could probably disassemble and reassemble all our guns. At once. In the dark. While juggling. I knew I kept him around for something other than just being pretty! :p

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
:gig I am not laughing AT you I am laughing WITH you. :D I just brought home ANOTHER shotgun about 10 minutes ago. This makes number 7. The Wife kinda looked, rolled her eyes and kept on cleaning the house. :gig
For the record, SHE has TWO 20 gauge pump guns and a 20 gauge over/under. And a .22 pistol. I try to keep her as happy as possible. :D

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's ok if you're laughing *at* me, I know my dad is, and I know the SO will be as soon as I tell him...

cmjust0

Power Conserver
Reaction score
First of all, :lol:

Ok, so, you'll be happy to know that turkey vultures aren't predators anyway. A turkey vulture actually doesn't have the strength in its feet to carry anything away, even if it wanted to. Just the physiology of the animal.. Indeed, a turkey vulture is sorta like nature's garbage truck. Garbage attracts other pests like possums, coons, coyotes, and the like.. So, in a way, having a turkey vulture around to clean up carrion is kind of a good thing, as there will be less carrion around to attract real chicken-killers.

Second...you might wanna be more careful about broadcasting this sorta thing to the world. Last I checked, turkey vultures -- like hawks and seemingly 99% of the rest of the bird population (including cardinals, bluejays, you name it) -- are protected by the migratory bird act...or whatever it's called.

Just sayin...and I feel your pain. They do look pretty menacing, don't they?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they aren't typically predators, but I wonder if this late in the season they'd be getting hungry. I've had a few people tell me they've lost chickens to vultures, but I imagine it's pretty atypical.

I'd rather not kill The Thing, but if he comes back lookin' ready for the buffet... I actually like vultures, I think they're cool. I'm the person that when we drive by vultures munching on roadkill and everyone makes eeeew noises, I'm going "Ooooh! how neat!"
But messin with my birds do be another matter entirely :old

cmjust0

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've heard the same types of stories, but I have to say I'm a little wary.. Can't help but think sometimes people look out and see a dead chicken with a vulture picking it apart and think "Oh no! A vulture killed my chicken!"...when it was really the neighbor's dog...and the vulture's going "Hey, look pal...it was like this when I found it, honest!!!"

:lol:

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i asked my friend who is a Park Ranger about that kind of thing because i've had some particularly aggressive hawks. so aggressive that, while i have been out with the birds free ranging, the hawks have gone into a dive headed straight for us. luckily, i've been able to scare them off without them scoring a meal so far, but i can't always be there.

anyway, he told me that my best bet (read: most easily defendable option should someone question me) was to keep a paintball gun handy. i could be in serious hot water for actually shooting the hawks, but there is little they can find fault with if i blast them with a paintball. it seems to have been pretty effective the 2 times i've tried it. being a terrible shot, i've not actually HIT any of them, but they get pretty freaked out.

i also don't have any problems with predatory birds when the chickens are in their yard because the tree closest to the coop wagon is a favorite of the local crow population. i wonder how you encourage crows to hang out in a particular location?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old 70's post of two vultures looking out over the desert and one saying "Patience my a**, I'm gonna kill something!"

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
i asked my friend who is a Park Ranger about that kind of thing because i've had some particularly aggressive hawks. so aggressive that, while i have been out with the birds free ranging, the hawks have gone into a dive headed straight for us. luckily, i've been able to scare them off without them scoring a meal so far, but i can't always be there.

anyway, he told me that my best bet (read: most easily defendable option should someone question me) was to keep a paintball gun handy. i could be in serious hot water for actually shooting the hawks, but there is little they can find fault with if i blast them with a paintball. it seems to have been pretty effective the 2 times i've tried it. being a terrible shot, i've not actually HIT any of them, but they get pretty freaked out.

i also don't have any problems with predatory birds when the chickens are in their yard because the tree closest to the coop wagon is a favorite of the local crow population. i wonder how you encourage crows to hang out in a particular location?
Probably by purchasing some expensive device to keep crows away.