Just discovered a gap in my skills and competency!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Turkey vultures are not predatory but *black* vultures can be; I expect you have some black vultures down there (although probably not nearly as common as turkey vultures) but don't know which kind you saw.

Be aware though that all vultures will act "weird" in the early morning before things have gotten warm enough to create thermals for them to soar on. They will hang out in trees or on fenceposts, sometimes even on the ground if they have "jumped the gun" and left their roosting spot before they can really get aloft. Sometimes they will let you get quite close; I've been as close as about 6' from a couple turkey buzzards, on horseback, before they flapped awkwardly away. So it is possible that what you saw was just two innocent turkey vultures that just hadn't really gotten their morning coffee into them yet, so to speak :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Be aware though that all vultures will act "weird" in the early morning before things have gotten warm enough to create thermals for them to soar on.
thanks pat! that's very interesting. i guess those big *ss birds do need a whole lot of lift.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I drove by a barn early one morning on a lonesome country road and the roof of the barn was loaded down with vultures and all of them had their wings spread to the morning sun....it was beautiful! Like they were worshipping the sun god or something. Neat birds!