Just getting started - Newbie alert :) (2 new questions p9)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been reading here for a week or 2 (member of BYC) and really feel like some of the changes that I can learn here will be very helpful. A little about me:
I was laid off from a very well paying job in Feb '00. In April '00 I started a job that paid less than half of what I was making previously. Instead of being smart and adjusting my spending, I used first my savings and then my credit cards to maintain my lifestyle of doing what I wanted and when - regardless of costs.
Over $40k in credit card debt later, I woke up :). I started a new (AWESOME) job in '05 and worked very hard to get my debt paid down. I still have about $10k in credit card debt - but I own my truck free and clear and now live in a mobile home with heat, AC and a stove (previous one had none of those.

This year I planted a 40x60 garden and bought 16 layer pullets. I have picked a couple of gallons of dewberries and my mom is going to teach me to make jelly. Once the garden starts making well, she is going to teach me to can veggies as well. I am already planning to put some raised beds in my backyard so I can have other food plants started.

So just an intro... and a statement to welcome any and all tips / suggestions/ etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!!

Your story sounds very familiar to many of us. Some are in the early stages and others have made it through. Maybe there are things you can teach us about how to dig out from under that credit card debt.

Some of my favorite books include.. Back to Basics Readers Digest, The Have More Plan, The Encyclopedia of Country Living. You will most likely be needing the Ball Blue Book of Canning as well.

Best of luck with all you do!!!

gina

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Howdy! Toodle through some of the older threads, too. There is a wealth of information here....more than several books could contain. Many of us are sharing our knowledge and inspiring each other to try new things.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Al! Great to have you on board. I came over from BYC, too, about a year ago. These folks will inspire and encourage you. Plus give you some good laughs.:welcome

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I actually started on the old posts and read towards the more recent. Some threads have me so fired up wanting to do more and more... and others had me :lol: :ep and :th

I am still in the spineless stage - my chickens will be breakfast makers until they aren't anymore, and then they will live out their retirement tilling and fertilizing the garden. I really want to have meaties and such... but I know myself and there is no point wasting my money buying them!

My parents gave me just over an acre. It is still adjoined to their acre and 1/2 so that my horse has good pasture. I am hoping to start fostering abused / neglected horses this summer. So that will limit my ground space for gardening. I have been reading about raised beds and figure since I built my own chicken yard (hardware cloth battle scars) I can probably build a raised bed too.

My folks don't want any goats around , so I am considering a heifer calf instead :D

ETA - AL is a nickname from my nephews.... to clarify my doubt in my carpentry skills I am an (almost) 38yr old single female. ;)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Welcome! I think many of us have the battle scars of chicken wire, hardware cloth, hammered thumbs, and many others from our adventures in learning and doing. We all have our experiences and opinions, and I don't believe anyone here is afraid to share either of them! :lol: The plus side is you're trying...you're working toward a final goal of self improvement...you go girl! lol Many folks here do raised beds, and no doubt they'll be more than happy to help you out. Loads of us are into canning, and as was said, the Ball Blue Book is a great investment, as well as the Back to Basics book.

I could go on and on, but I'll just say :welcome