Just getting started - Newbie alert :) (2 new questions p9)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll just pretend I didn't read about you nagging about the 'cold' you had. Ehem..

60 sounds like a tropical breeze.

I use old screen and rig them up in the window in full sun to dry my herbs. Doesn't take too long, but you don't want to forget them for say.. weeks on end unless you like bleached out herbs.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well... "officially' our first frost date is Nov 8, but my dad said he always planted on Labor Day when he still gardened. Hopefully he is right - 5 rows of peas, 12 mounds of squash and 3 rows of mustard later!

Thanks Free - I guess I will put that on my "to do" list for another time. I have not grown herbs before, wondering if I can kill them as efficiently as I do every other plant? :D

HEHEHE BB - we were ready to head south (about 12 miles - to the beach) for a while there! When it is 17* in Florida you can hear whining for miles around. I don't know if I would have much luck hanging stuf in my window... I have 4 cats that think everything in the house is strictly for their entertainment purposes!
I had considered planting some stuff in containers that I could move in and out of the house - until Leroy the cat ate my "good luck" bamboo.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure how fast jars go in your area but I would jump on those. Do ask nicely if they can come down on the price at all. I always ask on everything I buy. Even if it's only 10 buck it's worth it.

Good luck.

gina

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Most definitely!

I never has luck with Lucky Bamboo either, I always killed it. I still have a couple sprigs rooting out in water though.

Herbs are pretty easy really - there are probably lots of medicinal plants growing all around you as it is. You could start out with some of the easier ones in the Artemisia family, like woodworm, tarragon, and mugwort, or those in the Lamiaceae (mint) family, peppermints, lemon balm, catnip, sage, lavender, etc.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
booo she said someone picked them up about a half hour before I emailed. I really have to start checking craigslist earlier in the day!