Just getting started - Newbie alert :) (2 new questions p9)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The red okra (burgundy) isn't as itchy as the green. And it turns green when you cook it. It's a beautiful plant and adds such color to your garden. Plus, you can let it get a little bigger than the green pods and it will still be tender.
I love it fried, but not boiled (except in gumbo!)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm I will have to look into red okra.. I don't think I have heard of it.
Friday I picked a bushel of pinkeye purple hull peas from just a couple of rows! I was really excited and they were really good! yum!
I even had a couple of ears of corn - I didn't really expect them to make but we have a few more left.

So for lunch on Friday we had peas, corn, tomatoes, cucumbers... all from my little garden! We had fried okra and steak too, but those weren't nearly as exciting since they weren't "mine" :)

Pullen Farm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello-I just found this sight 10 minutes and registered. I am hoping to find information to become more self sufficient. and to teach my kids that things that you work for are much better than those that are given easily.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

LOTS of great information here, you can browse for hours and still feel like you haven't even started yet. Fortunately, there are also great people to chime in and help you out when you need it!!

The oil finally rolled up on our beautiful sugar white beaches. It is disgusting and heart wrenching. Our town is pretty much completely dependent on beach tourists - and you can see for miles without a single visitor. As the poorest county in the state, this is really going to put some difficult times on us.

I have this week to finish picking my peas, then I am putting the horse and chickens in the garden for a week or so, tilling, and then replanting. Hopefully oil and hurricanes don't combine to destroy even that.

ETA - if I sound depressed and sad, it is because I am..... google oil spill pensacola beach

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:hugs Hi Al, I am a former gulf coast dweller too. I am so sorry for the horrible spill you guys have to deal with.

I've had computer issues and have not been able to say welcome here to ss yet, so...:welcome

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. It is strange - people didn't get this depressed / despondent after Ivan or Katrina. We have dealt with hurricanes, we know about tying down, hanging on and rebuilding. But oil? On our precious beaches? Washing up in the bays? foaming in the grasses ?

:hit :somad

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I totally understand. It is like being raped. Things are destroyed and there is no way to stop it and no way to rationalize it.

I really feel for you all.