Just getting started - Newbie alert :) (2 new questions p9)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
. . . Others here are like you, beginners that would find it almost impossible to kill an animal that they have raised or gotten attached to. Either way you will be accepted and befriended on this forum. :) . . .
Just one of the reasons this is a great place to learn!

jynxthecat21

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a real newbie, I guess I've been reading for a couple of weeks. Reading what you all are saying helps me get past the discouraging words my family and friends keep saying, and hopefully will keep me on track with the path I'm trying to take.:/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
jynxthecat21 said:
Hi, I'm a real newbie, I guess I've been reading for a couple of weeks. Reading what you all are saying helps me get past the discouraging words my family and friends keep saying, and hopefully will keep me on track with the path I'm trying to take.:/
:welcome
I think we've all experienced the nay sayers at least once in a while, and some more often.

jynxthecat21

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep I just smile and keep on doing what I enjoy, but it sure is amazing how everyone loves not having to pay $3.00 a dozen for eggs after they laughed at me for buying chickens. I've been talking about getting a milk goat lately (lot's of head shaking on that one) but I'm still undecided. We shall see what turns up over the summer.:D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
jynxthecat21 said:
Yep I just smile and keep on doing what I enjoy, but it sure is amazing how everyone loves not having to pay $3.00 a dozen for eggs after they laughed at me for buying chickens. I've been talking about getting a milk goat lately (lot's of head shaking on that one) but I'm still undecided. We shall see what turns up over the summer.:D
I'm getting my first goats within the next week or two :D
I've had chickens for years and got some ducks about 2 years ago. :cool:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
jynxthecat21 Welcome to Sufficient Self! :frow

Don't worry these things take time and ALWAYS happen in stages.

At first people do their best to try to talk you out of your "lame brain ideas". Depending on you particular friends and family this can and often does include crying, yelling and sometimes flow charts of how much money you will lose.

Then comes the shunning. They want nothing to do with you OR your stupid ideas. They will talk nicely about other things, but mention your chickens or your herb garden and they look at you like snails crawled out your ears!

These are the days that Sufficient Self can help the most. Being able to talk to others of your kind and find assurance and happiness (and usually more great ideas to try! ;) )

After a time you become "that lady" or "that guy" depending of course on what is most applicable. People talk about your exploits in whispers and shake their heads.

At last one day people start sampling some of your produce, noticing how happy you always are and begin to get curious. Next thing you know you are The Guru. All of the naysayers are now coming to you for lessons and advice.

It is a weird world we live in. Welcome! :D

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Al I know what you mean with Ivan and denis my security in the system changed. When you can't just go to walmart for things needed. Not that those mre's were all that bad but I don't ever again want to feel like I have no way to feed my family.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks all... sorry I haven't been around - had to take my mom to the ER and she was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. She is feeling a little better, but still has to stay.

I have a crisis with my garden! Evidently it has been over-watered (I stopped watering everyday when the vegetables started to "make"). I did water a time or 2 per week though, and now we are having torrential rains. My tomatos are rotting on the bottoms. So far 2 out of 10 tomatos have been salvageable (the chickens didnt' mind). I asked a friend and he said they are getting too much water. Well, we are slated for more rain all week!

Any suggestions?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No suggestions, just wanted to say I hope your mother is feeling better soon!
I have peas in a container that isn't draining well. That I can fix. Good luck with the tomatoes!