Just saw Food Inc...

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And can I just say HOW GLAD am I, that we decided to raise our own meat chickens this year? I've just started getting into this whole meat bird thing and after seeing the conditions the store-bought chickens were raised in...I can just let out a sigh of relief. The grilled chicken we had for dinner and that my children are eating, is actual food. Food that I know how it was raised/grown, just makes me feel good! Can I get an amen?!?!

I have a meat pig on order (ready in July) and buy my beef from a farm that raises their cows to be "cows," not a mass-produced product :sick

And now I understand why you all call Monsanto evil...I wanted to cry for that elderly man who cleans seeds :( Seriously, 75 employees just to spy on farmers who don't make squat as it is?

Of course now I'm rambling, but I already know what everyone is getting for Christmas...a Food Inc dvd (purchased, not burned of course ;) ) and some of my homegrown goodies...wait, did I just say Christmas?!? :p

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, that film really got me going to, so depressing and on the truth score a 10+

Now, I encourage you to get another film to recreate balance in your life... you have netflex? get a DVD called "the Dirt on Farmer John" really, one of the best films I've seen in a long time, it is a bit depressing at first and just when you think you can't take it any more a miracle happens!

This would make a great christmas present too.... but maybe next year after you have freaked out all your friends and family for a whole year with Food, Inc :lol: they will be ready for a healing.

you can get that dvd here also:
www.angelicorganics.com

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Yes, that film really got me going to, so depressing and on the truth score a 10+

Now, I encourage you to get another film to recreate balance in your life... you have netflex? get a DVD called "the Dirt on Farmer John" really, one of the best films I've seen in a long time, it is a bit depressing at first and just when you think you can't take it any more a miracle happens!

This would make a great christmas present too.... but maybe next year after you have freaked out all your friends and family for a whole year with Food, Inc :lol: they will be ready for a healing.

you can get that dvd here also:
www.angelicorganics.com
I don't have Netflix, but I just put my name on the hold list for it @ my library :thumbsup thanks for the info! Yeah, I freaked my coworker out pretty badly after explaining how they kill the pigs...I still haven't recovered :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is how I got my cityboy dh to agree to raising some of our own meat. We were fortunate to see it in the theater, on the big screen....so much more powerful, if you can imagine that film being even MORE powerful!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
it still just makes us laugh laugh laugh when friends and family make fun of us for raising our own food. if they only knew...

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I need to get a copy of those and watch them.....'specially Food Inc.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
And can I just say HOW GLAD am I, that we decided to raise our own meat chickens this year? I've just started getting into this whole meat bird thing and after seeing the conditions the store-bought chickens were raised in...I can just let out a sigh of relief. The grilled chicken we had for dinner and that my children are eating, is actual food. Food that I know how it was raised/grown, just makes me feel good! Can I get an amen?!?!
I'll give you one! AMEN sister!! :ya

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It still puzzles me about folks, though. I was discussing factory farming with a fellow today and he was going on and on about the stench and the filth from the chicken houses that are everywhere locally....and in the next few minutes he was snurling his lip up when I was discussing processing my chickens this weekend. :idunno

He made this statement, "MY chicken comes in a can or in plastic!"

I told him, "I know....I smell them making your chicken everytime I pass by a commercial chicken house." :rolleyes:

After having this big discussion, he still didn't put the two together.....how in the world do people even dress themselves each morning??? :barnie

Tomorrow I start the processing of my own meat chickens~the first I've ever raised but not the first I've processed. This should be interesting! :)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Goodluck on the meat chickens Bekissed. Im thinking of doing the same. It would be a local product that other people are not doing.

What type of chicken are you doing? I was thinking of those sussex crosses.